Nine; If Lincoln Salisbury was a place he would be the Bermuda Triangle

Time has passed and now it is already five in the morning. The mess from the case papers downstairs was shuffled together by my father, in an act of apologising but at the end of the night they needed to have space from each other. My father went off and slept in the guest bedroom, while my mother stayed in the parents bedroom. Parents bedroom? Shouldn't I be saying her bedroom? Why does life do this to me? Maybe it's because I'm sleep deprived and it is five in the morning, who could say?

My parents chose to forgive each other after an argument ensued to why Lincoln was in our house holding me. The mutual conclusion that they came to was that, I deserved to pave my own pathway and if that pathway is writing than so be it. Although, I still have an ominous vibe that my mother hasn't dropped this issue of me wanting to pursue my dreams, instead of hers.

I sigh as I cry to myself once more. I wasn't upset about my parents heated argument downstairs because that situation had been doused with a fire extinguisher already. No, I was upset because I lost my best friend.

All because I announced that I love him. Although I admit it is my fault for overreacting to the fact that he basically rejected me. Silly, silly me.

Maybe Lincoln could be my new best friend, I mean he certainly has the qualities to be one's friend. He also knows me better than I know myself, which reveals a lot about his relationship towards me. Not only that but his support last night helped me find myself once more.

"Katherine, you awake?" A low male voice whispered through the darkness.

Speak of the devil.

Hmm. Should I reveal that I am in fact awake or just act like I'm asleep? The second option sounds promising to me but of course my good human traits just get the better of me.

"Yeah, why?" I ask, even though I yearn for someone to repeat to me that everything will be alright.

"Well, a lot of things happened yesterday night and I wasn't sure if you will be alright during the weekend." Lincoln explains, shifting on the air mattress on the ground next to my bed.

Speechless. I am rendered absolutely speechless.

I don't know whether or not to trust him, I mean he could well and truly turn his back on me and tell everyone in school my problems. Although, it does ring into question, why would he even think to help me during this time. He could have easily went out of my bedroom after capturing a picture of me crying.

"Why are you being so nice to me? You practically hate me don't you? Is this one of your new sick and twisted games?" I ask pissed.

"Katherine, why would you think like that?" He asks, hurt evident in his voice already.

"Because you are you and I am I. You practically are enemies with me and my group of friends, so I don't get why you are trying to help me cope through this situation." I explain.

He sighs and I see the silhouette of his hand running through his hair, one of his infamous habits. "I could ask you the same thing, if you knew the many secrets about me that you obviously do. Wouldn't you want the satisfaction to spread them?"

I have to give it to him, he does make a fine point. In all honesty though, I never ever thought to spread any secrets about him. He could more than easily turn his back and spread my own secrets. He takes my silence as an answer and begins to speak again.

"I thought that you and I could do something today," Lincoln says nonchalantly, catching me off guard. 

"Like take me out to the woods and knock me out?" I answer jokingly. Even though I was in no way in a joking mood.