Twenty

Nathan pulls up next to me and I quickly jump in his car. Once I'm in I turn off my phone and slip it back in my pocket.

"What happened to you?" He asks. I glance out the window and reply without even thinking.

"Party. Eleanor. Harry broke up with me. Everyone hates me," I tell him. He just nods his head - not even questioning anything about Harry.

"Sounds awful. I don't hate you by the way," he tells me. I let out a tiny laugh and turn to him.

"That's good. I need a friend," I tell him. He just smiles sadly and pats my knee.

"I'm here for you, mate."

•••

I lie on Nathan's couch wide awake. We talked for a bit when we arrived, but he has to work tomorrow and I have class. Though I doubt I'll go.

My mind keeps running over tonight. I blame Kristie for everything. God I hate her. I hate her and her smug smile and flirtatious attitude. She's not even pretty. Just a slut.

I'm tempted to turn on my phone and call Harry. I just want to talk to him and apologize. I just want to go back in time and just come out.

I didn't even want to come out and now here I am, sleeping on a couch with the whole campus probably knowing my love life. I close my eyes and pray for sleep to take me over.

I also pray to not have a hangover tomorrow.

•••

I pry my eyes open and take in a sharp breath at my headache. It's not as bad as I thought it would be and I'm not nauseous in any way.

I glance over at the table and see a glass of water and a note. I slowly sit up and see there's two painkillers on the note. I take them gratefully and then pick up the paper, reading the words.

"Hey man. I'm at work and I thought you'd like to just sleep. You can stay again tonight of you want.

P.s I expect dinner when I return."

I roll my eyes at his note and stretch my stiff limbs. I pad my way into his kitchen and see it's one in the afternoon. I shrug it off and dig around, finding cereal and tea. I quickly eat and drink and then rerun back to the couch to watch movies.

I watch movies until five and then decide I should probably have dinner for him when he comes back. I'm shit at cooking so I order a large pizza and leave it on the counter for when he returns.

I'm on my third movie when I hear the door open. I turn my head and see a very cold looking Nathan walk in.

"It's so cold out today. I hate winter," he complains. He stops and sniffs the air and then grins at me.

"You got pizza. You are a saint," He cheers. I laugh and turn back to the screen. He flops down next to me with the box in his lap and chews loudly on his slice.

"What movie are we watching?"

•••

"You can stay," Nathan tells me. It's Monday afternoon and I've skipped class yet again. I let out a small sigh and shake my head.

"I should probably head home. Thanks for letting me stay and washing my clothes and stuff," I tell him. He just shrugs his shoulders and gives me a half smile.

"What are friends for? You can come by anytime. See you at practice tomorrow?" he asks.

"Yeah. Bye, bro. See you tomorrow and thanks," I say. I give him a small smile and turn and walk down the hall of his apartment. His place isn't far from mine so I hurriedly jog home.