Chapter 18

A/N: ... I don't really know how to lead in this one. So, lets just get into it.

I'm sorry again.

~

The ambulance ride only lasted around five minutes, but to Phil, it felt like an eternity. Dan's hand was resting in Phil's, only letting go when an EMS worker ordered him away so that they could place squares of gauze on Dan's cut wrists, followed by wrapping gauze around his arm. Dan's clothes were still covered in blood, the black material not showing very prominently. 

Dan was still very pale, his face as white as a ghost. Dan's hands were stained with blood, as was most of his body. Phil's own hand was stained, but he couldn't think past Dan's still body. There was some part of him that fears the worst, but there is another part of him that sees the EMS men working quickly to record Dan's vitals, which means he has vitals. 

When they arrived at the hospital, Dan was whisked into the back, and Phil was instructed to wait in the waiting room and he would be updated as soon as possible. A receptionist handed Phil a few forms and asked him to fill in every blank he knew the answer of. Phil's heart was breaking. No, his heart is shattered. His chest feels hallow and empty as he fills in as many blanks as possible. 

He was able to fill in most of the answers but got stuck on some of the questions of Dan's medical history. Phil answered all that he could, and handed the forms back to the receptionist. The pretty  woman gave Phil a meek smile, and offered Phil a bottle of water. He accepted it, and sat back in the waiting room. 

Phil pulled out Dan's phone, knowing he should call Dan's family. He knows that Dan and his family aren't close, and ties have been strained lately, but they are still his family. He flips through his contacts, finding the contact labeled Mum, and presses call. 

The phone rings a few times when a woman's voice interrupts the ringing. "Daniel?" There was obvious confusion in her voice, but Phil could hear something else in her voice. Happiness? He wasn't sure, but he had more important matters at hand. 

"Um. Actually, Mrs. Howell, this is Phil Lester." Mrs. Howell's gasp was audible. 

"Phil Lester? Like, AmazingPhil, Phil Lester? The man that my son used to talk about nonstop?" The confusion was even more present, having completely taken over from the other. 

"Yes, ma'am."

"Phil, what's going on? Is Dan okay?" There were voices in the background, she must have been doing something when he called.

"Well, Mrs. Howell, no. Dan isn't okay." Phil's chest heaved and silent tears streamed from his eyes. "He's in the University College Hospital in London." He was trying to keep his voice even, maintain his composure while talking to Dan's mother. 

"Oh, dear. We will be there in a few hours. Please, call me again if anything happens with him, okay?" Phil mumbles an affirmation. "He's my oldest son, and I know he thinks we don't love him, but we do. Please, take care of my boy."

"I'm sorry..." Phil's whole body began to shake, the tears taring through him. "I should have been there for him. I should have stayed home, and then he would have talked to me about this." 

"Oh love, no. There was no way you could have known. I don't know everything, or even anything about his life right now, but I know this. This is not your fault, dear. I'll be there soon, hang in there." Phil could hear the sadness in Mrs. Howell's voice, and that only made him feel worse. He's being selfish, Dan's own mom was just having to comfort him, when she herself could use some support. "Thank you for calling me." The line went dead.