Chapter 17: Lies that Kill

Louis's P.O.V

I should've stayed away from her. I knew this would happen. I'd get to carried away with Heather, and Eleanor would see. When I kissed Heather and El saw, I knew this was it. It was over. I could lie, but what would that make me? A cheater.

I followed Eleanor out of the room. She was not getting her phone, but heading towards the balcony. When we were outside, she flipped around to face me. 

"Louis, I thought what you and I had was special..." She whispered, with barely a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

I lied, and I hated myself for it. "Eleanor, you know that Heather is like my sister! She's like Lottie to me! Nothing more! Don't you ever think I'd love anyone more than you, cause I never will!" 

Her face represented the emotion I had feared - fury. 

"DON'T LIE TO ME LOU. I'VE WALKED IN ON THE TWO OF YOU HUGGING, JOKING, ALL THE THINGS YOU AND I DO TOGETHOR. YOU HOLD HANDS IN PUBLIC, AND DON'T TREAT ME AS THOUGH I DON'T KNOW ABOUT ALL THOSE TRENDS...THOSE MESSAGES YOUR FANS SENT TO ME." She inhaled sharply. "Louis, I thought I'd learn the truth from you first. I just can't believe you."

The bitter truth stung, and so I continued to lie. "El...babe, those trends, messages, they're nothi - "

Eleanor grabbed my face with both her hand so she and I were looking each other dead in the eyes.

"Louis, look me in the eye right now, and tell me you don't have any feelings for her. Do it."

And so I did. That moment, I had wanted to be saved. I wanted someone to take me away. 

"Eleanor, you are my princess. I have NO feelings for Heather. She is worthless compared to you. I will never love anyone more than you except for..............................................."  I had to put some humour into here. "Harry, of course."

The twinkle in her eyes returned. She collapsed into my arms, breaking into short sobs. I noticed how the clear-coloured, shiny, door back to the hotel was a crack open. I watched as a flash of golden-brown hair swept past the window. Oh gosh. No, it couldn't be.

Heather's P.O.V

I heard it all. Every single word he said to Eleanor was like a sword through my heart.  'She is worthless compared to you' echoed over, and over again through my head. I hated myself. Louis didn't even like me, so who did? I was nothing. 

Everyone who had gone to the pool came back. Harry had taken it upon himself to grab some Nandos while being outside. We all ate in, and I tried to be as normal as possible. Maddi detected something wrong straight away, but I gave her a brilliant smile. 

After I finished eating, I escused myself to go to the washroom. Eleanor stalked behind me. The washroom was far away from the Eatery, thank goodness, because I didn't want anyone to hear the words she spoke. 

"Please, I beg of you, stay away from him. I love him more than anyone on Earth, so please...." I could tell she was hurt. 

All I could do was stare at her. My mouth formed a yes, but my voice wouldn't speak, so like always, I ran to the central bedroom. 

Eleanor and Danielle left afterwords. I came out of the bedroom, to find everyone doing their own thing. Louis was watching TV, twiddling his fingers. He must've noticed me, cause he called out my name. 

I knew that he saw me. He knew I heard, but he didn't know I liked him, so it was no biggie, of course. Yet instead of going to him, I turned around to go back into the bedroom. I was fighting tears, and I was pratically losing.

"No, Heather, please, come back! I can explain!" He called, but I pretended his words hadn't reached me. 

Instead, I head for our second balcony.  Of course, this beautiful 20-storey high hotel had more than one. This balcony was unlike the other. It featured stone floors, yet it had no rails, almost like you could jump off, and nothing would stop you. White, lighted pillars rose from the sides of the doors. 

Before I had left for the balcony, I felt the need to take a knife. I wasn't going to do anything, I knew, but it was just nice knowing that it was there if I needed it. 

I sat off the very edge of the balcony, letting my feet dangle. looking down made me sick. 

What did I have left? Dad was dead, thank god, mum was as good as dead, and I had no other relatives. Maddi was much better off without me. I just added to her troubles. My band wouldn't miss me. And Harry? Harry had other girls he could talk to. And Louis...it hurt me just to say his name. He had Eleanor and that was never going to change. So I guess that was it. I could do anything, whether it was to rob a bank or blow up a country. I had nothing left to lose. Everything was torn away from me. 

I was in my sulky mood. Harry had somehow found me, and came outside with a sweater for me. 

"Louis told me what happened." Harry brought up.

"Why does Louis care? Nothing happened." I replied, with anger in my voice. 

"You know that he never meant to hurt you like this. In fact, I shouldn't be telling you this but he thinks that you're -"

"Harry, I really don't want to hear the latest gossip. Could you get me some water instead?" 

"But - ugh. I'll be back." Harry crawled off to get my water, that was just an escuse to get him away from me. 

I knew what to do next.