The Aftermath

I panic when I wake up and see sunlight streaming in the living room. I am thinking I overslept and missed my meeting with the publisher. I look at the clock on the mantel over the fireplace and see that it is only 7:18 in the morning. My meeting with the publisher isn’t until 3:30 this afternoon but I do not feel like trying to go back to sleep. My dreams were even more stressful than reality.

I smell hot coffee, my mum must be awake. I walk into the kitchen to find her reading the paper and eating breakfast. I start to make myself a cup of tea, I prefer tea over coffee.

While the tea is boiling I make myself some toast. I don’t feel like eating but if I don’t have something in my stomach I can be grumpy. When the tea is done boiling I pour it. I sit down across from my mum.

“I am guessing that you had a good time last night especially with how late you got home.”

“It was pretty good. Brad and I were invited to a party after the show.”

I take a bite out of my toast so that I have an excuse not to talk much. The less that I have to think about it the better.

“Is that all?”

I decide to tell her about one of Zayn’s bandmates, Louis and how he kissed me. I can see the worry on her face when I tell her of how jealous Brad got afterwards.

She reaches over and puts her hand over mine.

“Do you love him?”

I am afraid to answer her question. After seeing Zayn again I am not sure about my feelings anymore. I really can’t talk about my feelings with anyone else. Lori is my best friend but she is also Zayn’s girlfriend and I am still afraid of hurting her if I tell her what happened. Brad is my boyfriend but from the way he acted last night I am afraid of what could happen.

The last person I have left is my mother and I know that I can trust her with anything. I have never kept anything from her except my feelings for Zayn and the kiss.

I start to tell her everything. By the time I am done I feel even more sure about my feelings for Zayn. When I am done it is silent for a few minutes.

“I can’t make your decision for you but I can give some advice, follow your heart. But always know that whatever decision you make I will always support you. You are my daughter and I love you.”

My mum walks around the table and gives me a hug. She always knows the right thing to say but I wish that I could make a decision. I am still conflicted about my love for Zayn and Brad.

I finish my tea and then go to my room to get ready for the day. After my shower I dig through my closet to find a professional outfit to wear. I lay the clothes on my bed while I start on the challenge of my hair.

Halfway through my hair styling my cell phone rings. I debate about letting it go to voicemail but just in case it is the publisher I run and grab my phone. I quickly look at the screen to see who is calling but I do not recognize the number. I answer it before it stops ringing.

“Hello.”

“Hi, is Carla there?”

The guy’s voice sounds familiar to me.

“This is her. Who are you?”

“It’s Louis from last night. I called to apologize about what happened at the party. I am sorry I was such an ass.”

His face now pops into my head. I can even remember the smell of the alcohol on his breath. I know that he was not in his right state of mind when he kissed me. I know that he is being sincere and I figure that I can forgive him.

“Apology accepted. Why did you kiss me even after I told you I had a boyfriend?”

“I wasn’t thinking clearly and Zayn told me that you were available. I guess that I can’t resist sexy ladies.”

I feel myself blush. I wonder why Zayn told him that I was not dating anyone even though Zayn has known that I have been dating Brad for the past few months. I have the feeling that Zayn does not handle jealousy well either.

“Just do not let it happen again, otherwise I don’t think my boyfriend will be too happy.”

“I will not make the mistake again I promise you.”

I hear silence for a moment before he talks again.

“I know that we don’t really know each other but maybe we could become mates. Would you like to grab some coffee with me sometime just as friends?”

I may not know Louis much but I figure that if he can be adult enough to apologize, he could be a good friend.

“Sounds good. I just have one last question for you. How did you get my number?”

“I stole it off of Zayn’s phone. Actually I had trouble finding it, it was listed under ‘La La’.”

I want to laugh at the fact that Zayn had my number under his pet name for me. I wonder how Louis connected my nickname to me. I hear someone talking in the background on Louis’s end of the line.

“I am sorry I have to get going. Me and the other guys have to rehearse. I’ll talk with you later.”

“Bye.”

He hangs up. I input the number into my phone so that I know that it is Louis. After I am done I remember that I was trying to style my hair. I start to walk back to my bathroom and surround myself in my thoughts.

I figure that Louis could be a good friend but the only thing I worry about is the fact that he is a guy. The last guy friend I had I fell in love with and I am still in love with him. However even though Louis kissed me last night I didn’t feel the spark that I had with Zayn or the dim flicker I have with Brad.

Hopefully I can get my affairs straightened out otherwise I am going to be in more trouble than before.