Small World

“I’m sorry about the mess, we haven’t had to expect company since we moved here.” She says as we walk into the room.

        Bree is right about the room being messy but it is nothing more than the normal mess of everyday life. Clearly two teenage girls have taken over the simple hotel room, makeup is piled on the vanity right outside the bathroom. The only thing that I find unusual is that there is a guitar and a keyboard. Sitting on the bed next to the instruments is a MacBook covered with decals.

        “Who's the musician?” I ask as I put the bags on the other bed that Bree sat down on.

        “The keyboard and the Mac belong to Paige but the guitar is mine.” She says.

        “What type of music do you two like to play?” I ask.

        “Actually I want to be a singer. Paige is sorta my publicist and everything else but I am the one that is really interested in becoming a musician. But the only way that could happen right now is if I had Cody’s ability.” She says.

        I could tell her about my father but he is probably the last person I ever would refer musicians. Even before the divorce I didn’t get along with him and that hasn’t changed since then. Also I don’t want to be known as his daughter.

        We are interrupted by the door opening and a girl wearing a trouser suit walking into the room. She walks right past Bree and me to collapse on the other bed. I am guessing that she is Paige although she looks older but that could be because of the clothes she is wearing.

        “Remind me, why did I decide to move to England to work with kids?” She asks. I assume that she thinks that she is only talking to Bree, she has not noticed that I am in the room with them. Bree stands up and walks over to Paige’s bed and sits down next to her.

        “You did it because you are my best friend and you want me to become the best musician in England.  You’re insecure, don’t what for,” Bree starts to  sing.

        I laugh out loud and the two of them turn to face me. Paige notices that I am in the room and she quickly sits up.

        “I’m sorry, I didn’t know you two knew of One Direction. I know that they are popular here but there still kinda new.” I say. I could probably have guessed that the boys would have become so popular especially with how well they performed on X Factor even though they came in third. Then again success usually comes out of failure especially with my book. The theme of the story is that love doesn’t always end on a high note sorta of how my love for Zayn has caused nothing more than tension and that it will not end well.

        “Are you kidding? I love One Direction! Liam, Louis, Niall, Harry, and Zayn.” Paige says.

        “I keep forgetting about Zayn.” Bree says.

        “Of course you would, you only focus on Harry although you know the song so well. Speaking of Zayn I heard that he is from here.” Paige says.

        I notice Bree looking at me and I have the feeling that she suspects that I am connected to Zayn and she is certainly not wrong. I wish that I didn’t let his name slip out of my mouth but I would never thought that it would have been a curse to say his name.

        “I’m Paige by the way. Who’re you?” She asks as she holds out her hand for me to shake.

        “Carla” I say as I reach out to shake her hand. She surprises me by grabbing my bracelet instead of shaking my hand.

        “You’re Zachary’s sister.” She says as she examines my bracelet.

        I am speechless but somehow my mouth finds the words to say before my brain can respond.

        “You know my brother?” I ask.

        “Yeah, Zacky told me about how you guys traded your bracelets when your parents got divorced. You have his and he kept yours. On one side it has your names but if you flip it over has you guys birthday.” She says as she flips over the bracelet to show my shared birthday with Zachary engraved on it.

        “It’s a small word after all,” Bree starts to sing.

        Paige takes a pillow and throws it at her.

        “Save your talent for the studio girl. Why didn’t you warn me that we were going to have company? I could have tidied up the room a little or at least be wearing something besides this monkey suit.” Paige says annoyed at Bree.

        “Don't need make-up, To cover up,” Bree starts to sing again.

        “You’re wicked good Bree. I think that you look very mature in your outfit Paige. You definitely don’t look like a teenager.” I say. I was not lying about Bree being good, she is better than good she is smashing. I see the both of them blush.

        “Maybe I could pass as a 21 year old at least and then I can go drinking.” Paige says.

        “You know that you only have to be 18 to drink in England.” I say.

        “I told you so Paige. To prove I'm right, I put it in a song,” Bree sings giving Paige a smug look.

        “Yeah, like I could believe everything that you say. You told me that you can get…”

        “The point is that I was right. That is all that needs to be said.” Bree says quickly interrupting Paige.

        “Well then you are buying the drinks tonight. I checked the schedule and neither of us is working tomorrow so we can party tonight. Would you like to join us Carla?” Paige asks me.

        “Sounds like fun. I can bring you guys to my favorite pub, they make the best drinks around.” I say.

        “Are there any cute guys there?” Paige asks.