Chapter 9

ERT! ERT! ERT! Alex quickly opened his eyes and saw the whole room glowing red! He turned to his clock. 11:02 PM.

‘You’ve gotta be kidding me!’ he thought. He then quickly got out of bed and paused; he didn’t hurt anymore!

“I guess all I needed WAS rest!” he said aloud with a chuckle. Suddenly, his bedroom door slammed open, revealing Josie in her pink fluffy bathrobe.

“Alex!” she shouted. “Zombies are coming!”

“I can see that!” he shouted in response. “Make sure Freddy and Dave are up! And gather the Plants, too!” Without responding, Josie ran off towards Freddy’s room. She looked inside and found the bed empty!

She then ran into the basement and already saw Crazy Dave wide awake...and by the work table.

He turned around when he heard her coming down the steps. He simply looked at her and smiled.

“Hey, Josie!” he told her. “Zombies coming?”

“Yeah!” she exclaimed. “Where are Freddy and the Plants?!”

“Well, Freddy was going to play Xbox and the Plants seemed rather interested. So he started teaching them how to play!”

“Well, can’t you get them down here?!”

“Sorry, but no. I can’t get any of them off that thing!”

“Well ain’t that wonderful...”

“Don’t worry! I finished a new plant that can help us! Well, actually, I suppose he’s not a plant.”

“What is he?”

“He’s a fungus!” With that, he moved out of the way to reveal a rather small purple mushroom. The upper portion was a dark purple with black spots, while the bottom portion was a lighter purple with two dotted eyes and a small tube similar to Peashooter’s.

“This,” Dave said proudly, “if Puff-Shroom! He may not be the strongest in our arsenal, but he requires 0 sunawatts to be activated! However, he shoots fumes at a short distance. But as long as we have enough of him planted, we’ll be A-O-Good!”

“Um, I think you mean...” Josie started to say, but just then she heard the stairs behind her creak. She turned and saw Alex slowly walking down the stairs.

“You feel better?” Dave asked.

“Definitely,” Alex responded. “In fact, I feel fine enough to try and take out zombies!”

“That’s the spirit!” Dave said with a giant grin.

“Hey...” Alex said as he scanned the basement. “Where’s everyone else?” Josie then quickly explained the Plants’ new addiction to Alex and she also told of the newest ‘plant’.

“To avoid confusion, we’ll just call him a Plant,” Dave told him.

“Well how about we get rid of these zombies?!” Josie suggested with a slight hint of annoyance. Alex looked at the screen and a few zombies were already on the property.

“Don’t worry,” he told her. “I got this!” With that, he instantly planted a Puff-Shroom. Thanks to its quick reload time, he was able to plant quite a bit of Puff-Shrooms at a reasonable speed.

“You know what I’m not seeing?” Josie asked Dave.

“What?” he responded.

“Sunawatts! I don’t see any falling down from the sky!” She was right; the sunawatt count was still 50. It hadn’t changed since the start.