Chapter 2

I quickly went back to the party and started looking for my family’s table. When I spotted both Luke’s dad and my own talking, I knew I had found them. I mumbled a quick “hey” to everyone who was sitting with us, then I sat next to Evan, who looked at me with a worried face.

“You took so long back there”. I smiled at him, knowing it was hard for Evan to be around my family and me leaving him alone with all of them wasn’t helping.

“Seems like you can’t live without me, not even 10 minutes, huh?” I smirked, obviously joking. At that, Evan rolled his eyes.

I scanned the stage, where now stood a drums set, 3 microphones, 2 guitars, and a bass. “5 Seconds of Summer” was printed on of the bass drums. I liked the name, and I hoped I would enjoy the performance as well.

Looking around our table I found Andrew, Luke’s dad. “Your son is performing, right?” I asked. He looked at me with a tight smile on his face. “Yeah” He paused, as if not believing it. “He is. How did you know?” I shrugged. “We kind of just met a few minutes ago. He’s nice” I added the last part just to reassure him that Luke was not that bad. I felt as if Andrew was disappointed of Luke, so complimenting his son would not harm anyone. Andrew just nodded and smiled at me, this time showing his teeth.

“How did you two meet?” Evan was looking at me playfully.

“I kind of ran into him after I went to the bathroom” I simply stated, not wanting to dwell on the subject. It’s not as if Luke and I had a heart to heart conversation. Evan simply nodded and squeezed my hand.

Andrew stood up from the table and walked onto the stage, taking in one of the microphones. “When Robert told me to invite my son Luke, and his band to perform at our event, the first thing that came to my mind was ‘How could you relate to my son’s music?’” The entire audience laughed at that, even I giggled at the thought of my dad listening to whatever Luke and his band mates played. Andrew continued, smiling to himself. “He simply told me to invite them or else our kids would die of boredom tonight.” Everyone laughed again. I looked around the room and found a couple people around my age; some even went to my school. “Let’s welcome my son’s band, 5 Seconds of Summer.”

4 guys walked to the stage. First, I noticed a tall brunette one, wearing a gray tank top, jeans, and vans. His hair was kind of curly and it matched his hazel brown eyes. He quickly sat behind the drums. Then there was who seemed to be the only one of them who actually dressed up, still keeping that casual style I really enjoyed looking at. He was wearing a button up shirt, dark jeans, and vans, too. His hair was really dark, matching his bronze skin. His slanted eyes were traveling around the room, he looked nervous. Next, I saw the trademark blue hair. And then, there was Luke, taking the microphone from his dad’s hands.

“Hey.” He said, not showing any other emotion but confidence. There was no denying to the fact that the four of them were extremely good looking, taking in consideration that about ten girls were now sitting front row, excited to hear them sing.

Suddenly, the first guy I noticed, probably because he was the first to show up on-stage, started drumming. Then, Luke and “blue-haired dude” started playing the guitar, while the other guy played the bass. There was not denying they were good…and they haven’t even sung yet.

I turned around to see Evan who was currently staring at his phone, not interested at all. He is more of an EDM guy, since he goes to those types of music festivals every year. I noticed my parents were amused at the drastic change of performances, since before them a girl was playing the violin and boring me to death.

After a brief, and may I say outstanding intro, I heard Luke sing the first notes.

“She's dropping out of school 'cause she don't need the grade, the colors in her hair don't seem to fade I get dressed up when I go out but she gets dressed down” He sang every word perfectly, making everyone cheer him. I caught a glimpse of Andrew smiling at his son.