Chapter 3

Luke’s POV

I’m such an asshole.

I didn’t mean to come out as one, really. It just came out naturally, I guess.

When I called Alexandria a 'spoiled brat' it was meant to be a joke.

Yeah, a very sour one, my subconscious pointed out. I groaned.

I wanted Alexandria to cool off before I talked to her again. After a few minutes of standing there, watching her walk until she got lost in the forest, I went to look for her. Wearing the killer shoes, heels, or whatever she was wearing, she couldn’t have walked that far. The little forest in which I was in was lit up by small candles that seemed to trace and endless a path.

Then I saw Alexandria sitting on the floor, her back against a wall that was covered by a mess of flowers that were interlaced with branches that came from a tree next to it. She was listening to music with her earphones on, and totally ignoring me.

“Alex?” It felt awkward calling her by her nickname. I called her again, this time a bit louder. She took off her earphones and blushed lightly, probably thinking I was listening to her singing, although she was just humming along whatever she listened to. She probably liked some shitty pop music, since she was such a girl.

Alex stood up and tried to walk away from me, but this time I got closer and took her wrist, forcing her to look at me.

“Let me go.” She said, her eyes focused on mine, a scowl on her face.

“Not before you hear me out.” She sighed, and waited for me to say something. But I didn’t say anything. I just didn’t know how to. Her patience was growing thin as the minutes passed by, so I decided to speak fast.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings-“ She cut me off, rolling her eyes.

“You didn’t hurt my feelings.” I managed to pull back a smile that was starting to creep on my face. I hushed her before continuing.

“I was trying to joke around, but obviously you…you didn’t laugh along.” Shit, I sucked at this.

It was her turn to talk. Alex had a blank look on her face, not seeming impressed by what I previously said. “You know, I’m kind of used to it.” She sighed. “To being called, spoiled, bratty, obnoxious…the list could go on.” She paused, a hint of sadness in her voice. “But I’m not that girl just because I look like one. People now days just seem to look at the cover of a book and judge it, with no further reading.” She spoke every word softly, as if other people were around when in reality it was just me and her standing in this forest.

After a long pause Alexandria sighed again. “I gotta go.” Alexandria started walking towards the tent, when I pulled her back to me.

“No, wait.” She looked at me, her eyes scanning every inch of my face. “I want to get to know you. You aren’t half as bad as I thought you would be, actually.” It was true. At first when my dad told me about Alexandria, being the daughter of his best friend and all, I thought she was a total shallow bitch. There’s no need to lie because I actually thought I would dislike her. But she proved me wrong. She was pretty normal, which went against all I ever thought about her.

“I promise not to ‘judge the cover of your book’ ever again.” I smiled upon noticing how corny that sounded. Alexandria just nodded, trying to force back a smile.

“That’s nice of you.” She now smiled, no longer pissed at me.

“Wait, I have an idea.” I internally laughed at how silly this would be, but went on with what I had in my head. “Go back to where you were listening music and looking all depressed when I first found you.” Alex rolled her eyes at me and walked back there. Then, I approached her. “We will start all over again.”