viii. strange apologies

Betty and Caroline arrived at a very busy pizza restaurant in the middle of Queens

Betty and Caroline arrived at a very busy pizza restaurant in the middle of Queens. There were a lot of students from their school in different tables chatting energetically since the weekend had just begun. It was, according to the students from Midway School of Science and Technology, the best after school hangout.

The girls sat at an empty table in the corner of the restaurant and looked over the menu quietly. It was a bit awkward, since the girls weren't really that close.

After a waiter took their order, Betty spoke up. "So, where are you from?" she asked. Caroline looked up from the table, a startled look on her face since the girl had spoken so suddenly.

"Well, my parents work in a big company over in Malibu. It was their dream to live in New York City. Long story short, we moved here. They still work there though so they're constantly flying in and out of here. Pretty inconvenient if you ask me, but who am I to get in the middle of their dreams? What about you?"

"I'm actually from New York, but we decided to move to Queens due to my mom's new job. She's a doctor and she got a job offer at another hospital. It's just me and her," Betty smiled, it seemed like she really had a strong bond with her mother. "I mean, it's one thing moving from Manhattan to Queens but it's a whole 'nother thing moving from California to New York."

"Definitely. It's been a rough move and a bit lonely without my parents around all of the time, but a couple of new friends have made it worth it," Caroline stated, beginning to blush at the thought of one specific person.

The girls were having a good time getting to know each other while finishing their pizza when Caroline saw someone walking over to them.

"Oh no," was all she could say.

"What?" Betty said as she turned around to look at what Caroline was watching: it was Harry.

"What's so bad about Harry?" Betty whispered, but it was too late for Caroline to answer. He was already at their table.

"Hey, Harry," Caroline greeted, feeling the same guilt she had felt after their conversation earlier that day.