xii. interruptions and false expectations

As Caroline walked along the hallway of her apartment complex, she thought about how unusual the last couple of hours had been

As Caroline walked along the hallway of her apartment complex, she thought about how unusual the last couple of hours had been. She had found out about the Infinity Stones, gotten into an argument with Tony, and realized that she was having dinner with Peter Parker and her parents.

Once she opened the door to her apartment, her parents were already getting ready for the dinner. She hadn't seen them in two weeks.

"Caroline!" the redhead's mom, Joyce Stark, exclaimed as she walked over to give her daughter a hug. Caroline's father, James Westbrook, walked behind her. The family rejoiced in a triple hug.

"We've missed you so much," James beamed, with tears filling his eyes as they pulled away from the hug. Even though he seemed tough and serious due to his physical appearance, he was very funny and quite sentimental. It was clear how much he loved and missed his only child.

"It's okay, dad, you don't need to cry. We're together now, think about that," Caroline smiled, looking anywhere but her father's face because she might've cried too. That was one of her weakness, seeing other people cry in person made her cry as well.

"I'm not crying, my eyes are just sweating," he sniffled.

They all laughed and just enjoyed the fact that, finally, they were all together.

"I assume that you already know about tonight's dinner, right?" her mother asked.

"Yeah, what's that all about? I mean, it's our first night together after a long time and we have to share it with Tony?"

"You know he's family too, Caroline. He's my brother, after all. Regardless, you know that your father and I are heavily involved with Tony's work, either Stark Industries or Iron Man related. We want to be updated with his work and since we all have tight schedules, it had to be tonight," Joyce explained.

Caroline fought the urge to roll her eyes and be disrespectful, so she just nodded.

"But, there's something in it for you," she continued.

"What?" Caroline inquired, now intrigued.

"Tony has this apprentice, around your age, and-"