ix. priorities

"Hey, Peter

"Hey, Peter. I saw you 'hanging around' on Friday," Caroline greeted Peter the following Monday.

"Very funny," Peter spoke while looking down at his textbook. Caroline looked at his face and noticed that it looked different. His usual wide smile and bright eyes had been replaced by a frown and bags underneath his now tired eyes.

"Are you okay? You seem tired."

"That's because I am."

"Spidey duties?" Caroline whispered.

"Is that what we're calling it?" Peter laughed.

Caroline smiled to herself as she had made her friend go back, at least for a second, into his normal state.

"Well, why not? Anyways, what did you encounter this weekend?" Caroline asked Peter.

"You know, the usual. A guy tried to steal an old lady's purse, some dude tried breaking into a bank. Stuff like that," Peter said, as if it were nothing.

"You beat them though, right?"

"Duh. The old lady even gave me a churro for returning her purse!" Peter said, his eyes regaining some of the brightness and happiness they always had.

"That's nice," Caroline laughed. They both turned to the teacher who was about to begin her lesson.

After a while, Caroline couldn't help herself and started talking to Peter.

"Pst, have you talked to my uncle about you-know-who?" Caroline asked, nudging Peter's elbow so that he would pay attention to her.

"We really shouldn't talk about that here," Peter told her.

"Shouldn't talk about what here?"