21) Bethany Hart

Bethany had slept by herself in the Epileptic children's ward. Shannon had been hovering in the hospital, checking in every now and again. Bethany guessed that Michael had said she may try to escape. Bethany couldn't help but feel her heart warm at how well Michael knew her even after only two days. Not even that.

She had breakfast which was her own choice. The nurses were all extremely kind and gave her whatever breakfast she wanted. Bethany felt so stunned at getting a choice that she couldn't decide. The nurse therefore gave her hot pancakes with maple syrup and a glass of milk.

At lunch, it was the same so the nurse gave her hot food. She knew from Bethany's notes that Bethany was malnourished so guessed suspected neglect. Her hot food was therefore steak and kidney pie with cheesy mash. Bethany quite liked it and ate it all. Once she was finished, she was delighted by a visit with Katie who had been discharged, Peter, Lily and Michael.Shannon was also with them.

"Bethany, it is my job to call your family members to make sure that there is no one to take care of you," Shannon said, glancing at Peter and Katie who were playing quietly with Katie's dolly. "Unfortunately I have only managed to contact your great grandmother who is in a nursing home.It would seem your uncle Ted passed away a long time ago." Bethany felt her heart tighten.

"He's dead?"

"Yes." Michael nodded, taking Bethany's hand. Bethany didn't know what to say, she just sunk back into her pillows.

"This does mean there isn't anyone to take care of you. You can't keep living at your house by yourself, it's not very good. A young girl like you needs someone to take care of you. However, I've spoken to a few people and there is one lady who is willing to take you. She looks after children like you. So you'll be staying there for a little while. How does that sound?" Bethany bit her lip.

"I don't like strangers."

"Well that's what we wanted to talk about," Lily came forwards and took Bethany's IV hand. She smiled at Bethany kindly. "How would you like to come live with us?"

"For a short while?"

"Forever." Michael replied.

"We want to adopt you Bethany. You are such a lovely little girl and we would love to take care of you. Katie and Peter obviously love you and our older girl Tiffany would take care of you too. How about it?" Lily waited excitedly. Bethany looked at everyone's waiting face. Michael was smiling. Shannon was smiling. Lily was smiling.

"Are you serious?"

"Definitely." Michael said, squeezing her hand.

"Yes!"

 "It might not happen straight away but you'll get to visit them regularly and they will get to visit you too. We need to make sure Michael and Lily can take care of you but judging from Peter and Katie, we can see they are healthy so I don't see why not." Shannon told her. Bethany felt her heart burst with happiness and joy as Michael hugged her. Lily hugged her too. Katie and Peter also got in on the action. Bethany was crying but for the first time in her life for a very long time...They were tears of pure joy.