six: winterfell

"What do you mean they're leaving?" I tried my hardest to push past Robb into Bran's room, but he held a firm grip on my shoulders. "Why should those treacherous devils get to leave with their bodies intact while your brother suffers?

"Valaeria, if you begin your questions and accusations now, all we've accomplished will be for nothing. We aren't certain it was the Lannisters."

"What has Bran said?"

"He hasn't woken up yet."

"It's been over three days!"

"They say even if he miraculously awakens, he'll be a cripple for the rest of his life. He won't be able to ride or fight like he wanted."

"Miraculous? You don't think he'll wake up?"

"Not many survive these falls."

"He didn't fall and you know it!" I shouted. Robb inhaled sharply and put his large hand over my mouth. I tried to get him off through muffled orders, but he only glared at me. I gave my own right back.

Neither of us wavered while looking at the other.

"If you ever raise your voice about this topic or any topic again, it will not go unpunished."

I took notice of his eyes. They were no longer looking at me but staring behind my head at someone who was obviously pleased by Robb's display of marital authority. After awhile, Robb took away his hand and kissed me softly. I shoved him away from me.

"Who the hell do you think you are?"

"Baratheon cunt was watching me. I didn't mean it."

"You had no right!" I pushed him forcefully into the stone wall behind him. He looked shocked that my skinny arms could have so much strength. He quickly recovered and breathed heavily.

"You need to control your temper. When you sit on the Iron Throne, is this how you'll deal with those who oppose you? Violence?"

"I'd hardly call it violence, Robb."

"Valaeria, we are going to let this go."

"Robb, we've seen that boy climb in rain, wind, and blizzards. Hell, we've climbed with him. He knows the risk of doing the hobby, but he always takes precautions. He puts hay around the towers to pillow his fall. Except the old council tower."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that he knows something and someone is trying to cover it up. How is it possible that Jaime Lannister was the first one to help him?"

"You still assume it was the Lannisters? You're a mad woman," Robb scoffed and started off in the other direction.

"Robb Stark, do not walk away from me!" I screamed. He shook his head and waved his hand dismissively.

Once he'd turned the corner, I'd given up hope. I calmed myself before walking quietly into Bran's chambers. Catelyn still sat by his side sewing her superstitious dream catcher.

"It's not a dream catcher."

"How can you believe in such things, Catelyn?"

"You southern folk would never understand."

"I don't plan to."

"And why is that?"

"If the gods decide my time is done, it's done." I shrugged. "I don't fear death."