twenty-two: meereen

"I just don't see how repaying evil with evil was the best option. This may have brought more of the enslaved people to your cause, but what of the relatives of all the men you've crucified?"

"They'll deal with it like the families of those children dealt with it."

"I'm just as angry about the children who suffered, but we need the nobles on our side as well. There are other ways to rally the newly liberated citizens."

"I doubt you know very much about my city, sister, you've only been here a number of weeks."

"One can learn much from a single walk in the streets. The added population has caused many problems that you simply cannot see from your private apartments," I said.

Before she could reply, Ser Barristan came through the doors looking solemnly furious. He was carrying and scroll with a red seal.

"If I could see Her Grace in private," he bowed. I nodded and left them to speak. Daenerys and I needed a break from each other anyway. We couldn't stop banging heads about things to do within the city.

I went back to my private apartment to be alone with my quill and parchment. The servant girls and elderly maids adored the twins and loved taking care of them during the day. It'd been nearly a year since they were born, meaning nearly a year since I've seen Robb. Thinking about him never ended well, but I couldn't help it.

"Your Grace!" Kiara, my servant and newest friend, came into the room with a scroll for me. The black seal made my heart jump with excitement.

"Thank you, Kiara."

"Aren't you going to read it?"

"Maybe later. Right now, I'd like to hear about Missandei, Grey Worm, and the stream."

"I wouldn't know, Xara is the one with all the gossip. I'm surprised she gets anything done."

"Did someone say my name?" Xara's mane of red hair popped through the door frame. She was carrying a tray of snacks and a hot drink.

"What's that?" I inquired.

"A special beverage my grandmother only makes for women in need of healing. She thought you might need it after giving birth and never really recovering."

"You must thank her for me."

"Certainly, Majesty."

"Now, Kiara says that you have details on what's going on between Missandei and Grey Worm?"

"Your Grace, they were eye fucking," Xara stated. I couldn't help but erupt into giggles.

"Xara, you can't say things like that in front of royalty, especially not Targaryens!" Kiara scolded her friend, but I shook my head.

"I don't mind. Nobody could have a worser mouth than drunk Northmen. Winterfell was not a place for children during any holiday."

"Sounds like the whole city during our festivals."

"Hey!" Someone's deep voice boomed. "You girls are not getting paid to stand around and laugh! Get back to work this second, you lazy children!"

Daario Naharis came onto my bedroom looking like an angry bull. His hand raised as if he ready to strike one of the girls before he noticed me. I was amused by his pathetic attempt to gather an excuse.

"Girls, you may take your leave for the night."

"Goodnight, Majesty." They said in unison before curtsying and scurrying into the hall. I only glared and waited for Daario to speak.

"Your Grace, I can explain myself."

"You were ready to put your hands on a young, innocent girl who was only here to relieve me of my pain. Why should I leave your hands attached?"

"However would I pleasure your sister then?"

"Many women prefer a man's tongue to his fingers."

"I'm skilled in both areas."

"Of course, you are. Men who can't deliver in quantity must deliver in quality."

"What are you implying?"

"I've seen you in the streams before. There is no implication, I'm only stating a fact."

He gave me a small smirk before bowing lowly, "I humbly apologize to you for interrupting."

"I'll be thinking about your punishment. You're dismissed, Daario."

"Sleep well, Lady Valaeria." He bowed before leaving my chambers. The twins would be brought back to me soon, so I decided to read Robb's letter.

My Darling Valaeria,

This very well might be my last letter for a long time or forever. Something is coming for us, all of us, all of Westeros. Jon and I must find a way to stop it before it's too late. I don't know when next I'll get a chance to tell you everything that I'm feeling, so it has to be now. You know that I love you, Val.
You must grow tired of hearing it, but it's true. It's one of the only things that's remained constant since this mess began. When I look back and try to remember how I survived so long, it always comes back to you. Even right now, you aren't with me, but the thought of you and our sons is what's driving me to keep fighting.
And I know that you want me to stop and come to you, but I'll never stop fighting for you. I'd never be able to live with myself knowing that you or the children had gotten hurt when I could've done something to prevent it.
I pray it isn't so, but if I am taken before my time, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that we never got married. I'm sorry that I wasn't there for our children and that I couldn't give you more. I'm sorry that I've left you alone once again. I'm sorry for not being the man you need. Please forgive me.
I hope that you reach your goal and sit on the Throne. Even if I'm not there to see it, you will be the greatest queen this shithole of a kingdom has ever seen. Its people need a queen who is kind, strong, wise, patient, generous, compassionate, and beautiful-you. I'm so proud of how far you've come, my love, and I know you'll go much farther.

Your Husband,
Robb Stark