The Snow

After a while of playing in the snow like a couple of kids we decided to go back to the cabin to sit in front of the fire. I had a cozy white blanket on me while I was on the floor listening to one of my dad's stories.

"After a while in a storage unite my partner was getting tired of laying low, he got tired of playing it safe. I kept trying to make him understand what would happen if we left that room, but he didn't get it. About two hours after he left, I got a call that he was killed. I knew the mission was risky but not to the point they wanted us dead. I guess having millions worth of drugs stolen got my partner and best friend killed, I will never forget. So I have never made that mistake again." My dad said taking a sip of his water. I glanced over to Max as he stayed quite.

"And what was his name again dad?" I asked trying to remember this story.

"His name was Cameron, I remember he had a family. But we were still young so his wife had to raise a baby on her own. I remember trying to help her out with money but she called it dirty and would always get upset saying it was my fault Cameron died." He responded looking down at his hands, a wave of guilt showed up on my dads face making me feel unhappy at the story.

"How old is their baby now?" Max questioned.

"He isn't a baby anymore, I can say that. Jason grew up now and he's probably in his early twenties by now. Last I heard he was trying to become a lawyer. I was going to tell him about his fathers money he wanted to be passed down to him for any financial thing he needed but his mother asked me to never bring up Cameron's passed or career. So now that poor boy doesn't know a darn thing about the money he could have to help his college finances or his dads secret life." My dad said finally looking at us, he gave us a sorrow look but with a smile.

I took this moment to appreciate what I have, although it might not be the best or safest I'm still grateful for everything. My dad might have a dangerous career that he also involved me in but it puts food on our table and provides an amazing roof over our heads.

I got off the floor and threw my blanket on the couch walking to my purse where I pulled out my Polaroid camera. I turned my back on my dad and Max while adjusting the camera over me, after a few seconds I yelled out cheese followed by the rest. I heard a click and walked back to where I was, I sat back down on my spot and smiled cheekily at Max. I looked at the picture as it slowly got less cloudy revealing the picture of us three smiling like dorks. I looked up back at Max and saw him smile back; I slowly put my head down on the floor getting confortable. After a while of staring into the fire my eyes felt heavy and I went into a deep sleep.