Chapter Eleven: The King's Feelings

Alan and I wandered the Boardwalk until we both knew it was time to go back.  I thought that the boys would have left without us, but Alan assured me that they hadn't. 

And they hadn't. 

They stood, in their usual circle, but only Paul, Dwayne, and Marko were talking.  David was glaring at the ground.  I sent Alan a worried look but he gave me a reassuring smile, pushing me to walk in front of him.  When I was a couple feet away, David's eyes snapped up and I inhaled sharply but didn't dare look away.  He seemed beyond furious but stood, jerking his head for me to come over.  I looked over to Alan once more but found he'd abandoned me to be with Marko. 

Traitor.

"Hey," I murmured, stepping closer but he barely acknowledged me.

"Get on," his voice was rough and for the second time that night, tears framed my vision but I didn't move. 

He looked up but didn't move either. 

Just staring at me, a look void of emotion directed at me as I tried my hardest not to cry.  It seemed the conversation next to us had stopped and they were watching us, which only fueled my desire to push down my waterworks.

"Get on," he bit out evenly and I almost hiccupped, but finally did as I was told.  His engine roared as he gunned it away from his pack.  Tears broke my wall and I found breath a little harder to inhale, but amazingly stayed as calm as I could until we got back.  He dismounted, not turning to help me; he almost kicked me when put down the kickstand, not even bothering to wait for me.  Clumsily, I followed him, until I was finally in the cave.  I found him leaning into the fridge, rummaging through it and I watched him, pathetically. 

It was clear he had nothing to say to me. 

Sniffing, I turned to the bed, crawling under the covers and balling up in the middle.  I found myself kind of hoping I'd suffocate, actually, but the duvet was promptly ripped off and I balled up tighter.

"Move," he growled but I didn't.  "Keyna, move over."

"Why," I grumbled, covering my face with my arms.  "Why don't you just sleep with Marko and the others?  I'm sure you'd be happier there."

"Fine," he replied stiffly and I heard his feet pad away. 

That did it. 

A sob escaped my lips before I could do anything to stop it. 

He hated me.

"Keyna, would you shut up," he said quietly and I jumped, peaking through my arms to find him kneeling in front of me.  "I don't hate you."

"You could've fooled me," I sniffed, closing my arms tightly to hide my sight once more.

"Would you stop it," he barked, making me jump and I looked at him.  He was standing now, thoroughly annoyed.  "You're the one who left, Keyna.  You're the one who told me to leave.  You stormed off; you always do."

"So it's my fault?" I murmured, but he gave me a frustrated glare.  "Well what're you trying to say?!  You're all but throwing the blame at me, David."

"I don't hate you," he repeated, his fists balled.

"Then why're you so angry?" I asked incredulously.

"Because I couldn't fucking help you," he roared; then turned, leaning against the dresser in front of me, only a few feet away.  His head fell forward and I heard him inhaling slowly.  Standing, I moved behind him, resting my hand on his back, half expecting him to whirl around and smack me, but he didn't move.  I wrapped my arms around him, hugging his back and it seemed like he was going to fall.  He was holding himself up with the dresser, which scared me.