Chapter Five: Back to the Boardwalk

It'd been five days since that night. 

Five days, and I'd avoided the boardwalk like the plague.  Sam asked me multiple times if I wanted to go back with him but I just shook my head and stayed cooped up in my room.  I wasn't avoiding David, or anything, I just needed time away from everything.  I mean, I'd seen him every night, for three days, and he'd told me he loved me.  For reasons I wouldn't understand.  I was a little confused. 

Plus, I didn't want to see Edgar. 

Yeah, Sam had forgiven me, and I still wanted to lock them in a closet, but I think time away from everyone was a good idea.  However, by the fifth day, I found myself physically aching to see David.  I missed him.  More than I thought I'd miss him. 

It scared me. 

I mean, I missed everyone else too, but I really just wanted David to hold me.  Like he had that night, when I told him a little bit about my parents.  It'd felt nice, but the strong emotions had freaked me out.  Who in their right mind wouldn't be a little skeptical if someone said that after only three days of knowing a person?  But after not seeing him for five days, I kind of understood.  I still wanted him to explain it to me though. 

I wouldn't understand? 

I slept with his jacket, for Christ's sake!  I could sure as hell try understanding.

"Keyna?" 

My head snapped up from the pillow I had hugged to my chest and I saw Alan standing in the doorway.  He seemed a little hesitant.

"What're you doing here?" I asked slowly, loosening my grip on the sky-blue, fluffy square.

"I kinda need your help," he muttered, scratching the back of his head awkwardly.  I sat up straight, raising an eyebrow as I readjusted the black leather draped over my shoulders.

"Everything alright?"

"Not really," his breathy laugh was nervous but I gestured for him to sit down and he did, his gaze fixed to the duvet.  "Sam's not talking to Edgar."

"What?" I laughed but he let out a stressed sigh before launching into explaining what had happened while I was gone. 

Apparently, it was a hell of a lot.

--

Standing outside the wooden, bar, place, I couldn't help being annoyed. 

I'd been looking for Edgar all afternoon, trying to do it before dark because I wasn't ready to face David.  That was another thing I'd have to ask him about, I thought to myself, the dark thing.  Shaking my head, I pushed the large, heavy door open and stepped into the smoke filled room.  I slid to my tiptoes as I looked around, finally seeing the bandana-tied, mullet head, and walked over.  When I sat down, he looked over before taking a swig from the brown bottle but I took it from him, setting it in front of me.

"What'd you want, Keyna?"

"Well," I started before smacking him, "that is for being a complete ass."

"What the hell," he yelped, practically jumping off the stool as he rubbed his arm.  Unlucky for him, there was no fabric against his arm; so when I backhanded him, it just hurt all the more. 

Felt pretty damn good to me.

"Yeah, now get up and follow me," I growled, glaring at him but he merely scowled back.  "I'm serious, Edgar, I'm in no mood.  Get the hell up and follow me."  His eyes widened slightly before he stood, following me out of the bar.  I really don't know what was so scary about a five foot three person getting angry, but apparently, I scared a lot of people.  Some even backed down with just a look from me, but I guess it's because I don't get pissed off very often.  I dunno, I was just glad Edgar was following me.