EPILOGUE

E P I L O G U E-

E P I L O G U E
-

It had been days since the fight. Octavia was resting, Lincoln tending to her. Meanwhile, Althea and Jaya sat outside of the cave. She knew that she made the grounder uncomfortable, but what she didn't know was why.

Jaya was someone who, even in the few days she had known her, Althea just couldn't figure out. Usually, she was good at working out how people worked, but Jaya was a mystery even to her.

"Thank you," Althea said to her, breaking the silence that ran between them. It was thick, but not unbreakable.

"For what?" She grumbled in response, not looking over.

"For helping us." And she meant it. Without Jaya and Lincoln, they probably would've been dead a long time ago, their bodies rotting and a feast for crows. Oh, how they would have jumped and squawked in delight for fresh meat. Alas, they remain disappointed for yet another day.

"It was all Lincoln," Jaya said coldly, her dark eyes flickering up for a second and then back down to her weapon. Suddenly, she stood, her hair flicking over her shoulder and her sword being sheathed. "I need to go. You've already wasted enough of my time. I need to hunt to feed four, not two now."

"I would offer to help, but I can't hunt," Althea replied apologetically.

Jaya almost cracked a smile. "Then you'd better learn if you want to make yourself useful around here."

Althea scrambled to her feet, eyes glistening. "And will you teach me?" She asked, hopefully. It was perhaps the most hoe her voice had had in it for years. Tragic, really, but it was the flicker of a flame in the depths of her dark.

Slowly, Jaya turned back around to face her. Now she met her eyes with a fierceness that Althea could only dream of possessing. "Yes," She said. "I can teach you what I know."

And, with those words, the firestorm was lit inside Althea Barnes and it would take a lot to put it out this time around.

-

It's finally complete after all this time! thank you to everyone who continued to support this story, even with the massive gaps between updates. I'll keep this short because you all know how thankful I am for all this support.

The sequel will be out shortly after this is posted so stay tuned for: FIRESTORM