6

Gina's POV

I woke up to the sound of somebody throwing up. The noise was coming from the room opposite mine. I sat upright and switched on the light that sat on the pedestal beside me. The sound would stop and then a little while later, repeat itself. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and let them dangle at some distance from the ground before slipping on my slides and heading for the wardrobe, where I grabbed my robe and put it on. I opened up my door and peeked my head out into the hall to see Ayleo rushing towards the stairs. He caught my nosy ass staring and turned around, passing me a small smile. I returned the gesture whilst awkwardly revealing the rest of my body.

Me: Hey...

I said just over a whisper.

Ayleo: Hey.

He replied with a light chuckle. I then came to the conclusion that it had been Mateo throwing up in the bathroom.

Me: Is he okay?

Ayleo: Let's just say he had a lot to drink...

I nodded. It went quiet for a little over 10 seconds, when Mateo walked out into the hallway in nothing but a pair of sweatpants on. His face was masked in a light shade of pink. We made awkward eye contact until I decided to look away. Even after I stopped staring I could still feel his eyes on me.

Ayleo: You feeling alright little bro?

Mateo: I'll be fine.

Ayleo: You still got that headache?

Mateo: Yeah but it's not like we got anything to make it better anyway...

He said running his fingers through his afro. It went silent again. It gave me some time to think about how I could help. I then remembered an old family remedy that my grandmother would use to prevent post hangover effects, and that I also bought a pack of Tylenol at the airport.

Me: Do y'all have any ginger ale?

They both looked at eachother weirdly before looking back at me.

Mateo: Ginger ale? Why do you need ginger ale?

Me: It helps control the nausea...

I said without looking him directly in the eyes.

Ayleo: I think we might have some downstairs. I'll go have a look.

He said and made his way down. Now it was just Mateo and I left in the hall.

Me: I'll be right back.

I said turning on my heels and heading over to my room. I grabbed my bag and searched for the Tylenol. Once I had found it, I walked back into the hall and ran into Ayleo along the way.

Ayleo: Where did Teo go?

Me: I think he's back in his room.

Ayleo nodded and walked over to Mateo's room. I followed behind him and came to a stop outside the door, looking out of place.

Ayleo: You can come in if you like.

I stepped inside and sat down on a chair tucked into a desk. Mateo sat outside on his balcony.

Ayleo: He said he needed some fresh air.

I nodded in understanding. Ayleo looked so tired. He had heavy bags under his eyes. He sat down slumping back in his seat with his eyelids gently shut.

Me: I'm guessing this isn't the first time you've gone through this.

Ayleo: Nope.

I laughed at his response. He joined in.

Ayleo: I'm serious. His been drinking a lot lately. I feel helpless at this point. The irony about it is the fact that I warn him about drinking all the time.

Me: Kai went through something similar when he found out that our dad was arrested.

Ayleo: That must've been really hard on you guys.

Me: The hardest thing I've ever had to experience. Kai started drinking and I went into a deep depression that lasted for a while. No matter how many times we got to visit him. It was never the same...

Ayleo: I can't say I know how that feels but from now on your going to be part of the family, and in this family we're here for eachother, meaning that whatever you go through we'll help you get through it. And that goes for Mateo too. I know my brother isn't the most supportive at the moment, he's acting up right now, trying to keep his pride up and shit, but he won't be able to that for that long because you've got a pure heart, something he'll surely be attracted to sooner or later.

I felt some sort of closure and belonging when I heard him say that. I mean I never thought he saw me in that lighy at all. It feels good to know that I'm a part of such a welcoming family.

Me: Thank you Ayleo. I really appreciate it. I hope you know that I'm here for you too.

Ayleo smiled.

Ayleo: I do now.

I smiled before laughing lightly.

Ayleo: Hey you don't mind if I leave you here with him, do you? I haven't had any rest the past couple days and I'm exhausted...

Even though I hated the awkwardness between Mateo and I, I wanted to show Ayleo that I could make this work.

Me: Sure! I'll be just fine.

We said goodnight to eachtother as I watched him start to make his way out the room. As if on cue, Mateo walked back into his room and saw me sitting at his desk.

Mateo: Where's Ayo?

Me: He went to bed.

Mateo walked over to his wardrobe and changed into a loose top. I flustered when my eyes met his stomach. Mateo may be skinny but he's got a great body.

Me: I placed two Tylenol pills by the glass of water on your pedestal along with the ginger ale. Hopefully those help you out.

I was about to leave his room when he stopped me.

Mateo: Hey Gina...

I turned to face him.

Me: Yeah?

He paused and began to twiddle his fingers.

Mateo: Thank you...for this...I appreciate it...

A small smile played across my face.

Me: Your welcome...Goodnight Mateo.

He passed me a slanted smile.

Mateo: Goodnight Gina.

I continued to make my way out and shut the door behind me.

Things were starting to fall into place.

Slowly but surely, we were getting somewhere.

A/N - Any ideas on ship names for Mateo and Gina?
           Thoughts on the plot so far...
           Tips on how to make it better...
           Comment what you think!!!

P.S. - I will be doing shout outs in my next update!!!

Thank you to everyone who voted for this story. Much appreciated!!

- K