11

Mateo's POV

I walked over to Gina and set a cup of tea on the table beside my bed. I wrapped one of my sheets around her before sitting down on the edge of the bed. A couple sniffles escaped her nostrils as she stifled out a 'thank you'. Gina's innocent sneeze on our way back home turned into a flat out cold. It turns out the window in her bedroom wasn't completely shut, it let in a cold draft of wind and now she's really sick. To top it all off, the window's stuck, so there's really nothing I can do to fix it. I offered to let her sleep in my room until we get it fixed.

Gina: Are you sure you don't mind me crashing here tonight...I don't want to spread my germs in here on anything...

I chuckled lightly at her concern. She shyly smiled before tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

Me: It's really not a problem. I just want you to get better.

She nodded in understanding and took a sip of her tea.

Me: I called repairs and they said they'd come and check it out sometime tomorrow...

Gina: Well that's good. I'm sure I'll be back in my room in no time.

Me: I really don't mind sharing, if that's what you're worried about. I'll be alright on the floor.

Gina smiled shyly.

Gina: Thank you...Teo...

I was so used to hearing Gina call me by my full name. This was different. It did unusual things to me. I liked it.

Me: It's my pleasure.

I noticed her shivering within the sheets.

Me: You should really change into something warmer...

Gina: Unfortunately all my winter wear's in storage. It should be here by Friday though.

Me: Well in that case, I might have an old sweater in my wardrobe, let's just hope it fits.

I got up and rummaged through my drawers and came across my grey 'goal digger' hoodie.

*A/N: We all know that hoodie ;)*

Me: This should keep you warm tonight.

I handed her the hoodie and watched as she slid it over her head and stuck her arms into the sleeves. She then returned underneath the sheets. I opened up my wardrobe and grabbed a few blankets, before laying them down on the ground.

Me: Do you mind passing me one of the pillows beside you?

Gina: No not at all.

She reached behind her and gently tossed me a pillow. I thanked her and walked over to switch of the lights as my large window let the street lights shine into the room. I hopped into my makeshift bed and sighed out heavily. There was a thick silence in the air, and for some reason I could sense that Gina wanted to ask me something. I, too felt the need to say something in order to rid the awkwardness but I had nothing. As if figuring out my uncomfortability she'd finally asked me whatever it is she'd been holding back.

Gina: Why did you kiss me today...Teo?

I swallowed hard. I didn't have a valid reason as to why I'd done that today. It just felt right. I wasn't thinking about the outcome it would have later. I wasn't influenced by anything. I did it for me. I could tell she'd found it bizarre and I had to apologise for startling her.

Me: I'm really sorry Gina. It won't happen again.

Gina: Teo...I don't want you to apologise...you did nothing wrong...I just want an explanation...you promised me one during our car ride back from the restaurant...I want to know why you've suddenly changed almost overnight...? What made you do it...?

Her asking me that made me think of Ayleo this morning. I vowed to be honest with myself and Gina could do with the honesty too.

I sighed nervously and sat up right facing her in the semi dark room before speaking.

Me: I feel like ever since you got here I've treated you like complete shit. I haven't exactly been the most cooperative person lately and it's been getting to me. After that night you helped me out, I realised just how caring and how kind you are. I didn't ever intend on taking advantage of that. I'm sorry Gina.

She smiled shyly before giggling softly. I furrowed my brows in confusion as a sheepish smile played across my lips.

Me: What?

Gina: You're a sweet guy Mateo. I could tell from the moment I met you that you weren't this guy you made yourself out to be. I honestly thought it would take longer for me to hear you say this to me but...I'm just glad that you proved me wrong.

She removed the sheets and walked over to me before sitting down infront of me. Hesitantly she reached out and held my hands in hers. I flustered at first but eased into her gentle touch.

Gina: I know I can't force you to love me, and I know I can't force you to accept all of this but I just hope you understand that we're both in this situation. Together.

I held back a shy chuckle. She smiled even harder before gently squeezing my hands.

Mateo: Thanks Gina.

She nodded before gently squeezing my hands in hers.

Gina: Goodnight Teo.

She let go and made her way back to the bed. Her touch still lingering in my palms.

For some reason I wanted something more than what she'd just done to me, to happen. I wanted to hold her and make sure she felt safe. But I couldn't do that.

Not just yet atleast.

I slid back into the blankets and covered myself. Mixed emotions began to takeover my mind.

Me: Goodnight Gina.