o

The hoard of girls gathering at the local council post only meant one thing.

Mating season

They're reading which pack is hosting the new choosing Ceremony and by the giggling and the hushed whispers it's probably being hosted at Emerald Pack, they host the best and biggest parties known to man, all funded due to the mining done by the humans in the nearby town.

"Can you believe it? We're going to see royalty!" Some girl beamed and I frown

The Emerald Pack are far from royalty.

I push my way through them and stand in front of the post.

"The 1000th Year Has Come!" A girl recognise as Sapphire, the Warrior's daughter, beams. She reads out loud, her curly brown hair bouncing from excitement.

"Join us, unmated girls to the home of your sovereignty and play the game of thrones as we selected the rightful mate for the Prince." I continue as I look at her in confusion.

The king has a son?

I thought Queen Celeste can't have children.

"Age Range: 17-21," she informs me, "That includes us, Elise."

My jaw clenched tightly, I have to run around trying to get one boy to like me when there are thousands of other girls in the running? I think the fuck not.

I search the post for where the others are going to be situated, "All others join the Mating at the Emerald Pack."

God damn it. I'm going to miss a party and a chance to meet an actual mate for this?

"Signed King Vincent!" She squealed, "Aren't you excited?! This is the real deal. We could marry the prince and live for a thousand years."

A thousand years

Who would even want to life that long?

You'll watch everyone you care for die and people you know move on.

The girls jumped and started moving to start packing their bags at home and I stay staring at the notice.

The Red Moon shows the presence of the Moon Goddess it happened every 1000 years. the 1000th year resembling the 1000 days it took for the moon goddess to secure the first ever pair of mates.

Who ever is chosen to become this unknown princes mate has a lot of responsibility resting on her shoulders. Especially is she's only 17 like myself.

But this is a new excitement, at least I'll be able to watch from a distance and select my true mate next year.

Let the mating begin.