[스물 여덟] Decomposition

"My blood, my family is standing right here."

~Glenn Rhee

Rick was currently feeling more awkward than outraged at the moment. He shifted his eyes uncomfortably to the driver's side, who was seemingly lost in the rock music that filled the car. He was trying to find the words to interrogate her, but it seemed that his previous days as a law enforcement officer were failing him when he needed them the most.

"Um, Commander, can I take this off now?!" Jeffrey practically shouted over the radio and bag that covered his head.

"Oh yeah," Maiya laughed. "Sorry, I forgot about that. Good acting by the way. I thought you would break character."

"You mean to tell me he was never in any danger?" Rick frowned at the woman.

"Of course not. Jeffrey's been my friend since the beginning. I would never hurt him," Maiya explained. "But threatening him was the only way you would come back with us."

"Yeah, I thought it was crazy when she first told me. And I admit I was scared. I wasn't sure what might happen. But everything's all good now." Jeffrey stated from beneath the bag as Glenn removed the cable ties.

Jeffrey gave a sigh relief once he removed the bag, grinning widely at the nephew Rick practically demanded come along with him. Carl returned no sign of warmth, only glaring in response.

"C-Carl, you hardly look like the boy I remember...You've grown so much," Jeffrey stuttered, trying to ignore the obvious. "You're no longer the kid I used to wrestle with."

"Yeah, the end of the world tends to do that to people," Carl retorted, surprising both his dad and Glenn.

"Carl!" Rick turned to face his son, giving him a look to 'stop talking immediately.'

"It's fine. I was just being stupid... From what Glenn has told us, you all have been through so much crap since you arrived in D.C." Jeffrey's eyes turned sad.

Rick wanted to ask what exactly Glenn told his brother, but that would have to wait for now. There were more important things to know, which would help Rick assess the danger this group posed.

What sort of danger he and Carl were in.

"Jeff, I'm sorry that I seem so distant right now, but I'm just... stunned. I never imagined I would run into you again. I just accepted you were dead... It hurt less to erase you than to think you were still out in the world somewhere...searching for me." Rick hadn't realized he was crying until he finished his sentence.

"Richi- Rick, let me say something first. Something that I've been wanting to say for so long. I'm so, so sorry!" Jeffrey suddenly cried. "I never visited you once in the hospital. I was in Spain studying abroad and it wasn't until the end I heard what happened. I feel so guilty that I wasn't there for you."

Everyone was staring at the young man now, but he ignored their gazes and kept speaking. He might never have another chance and he didn't intend to waste it.

"I just hope... I hope you weren't there alone. I hope Carl, Lori, and Shane filled my place. I'm such an awful brother..." He whimpered.

At the mention of his wife and former best friend, Rick had to look away from his brother. Carl also lowered his head to hide his tears.

Glenn even bit his lip, knowing that this was probably a triggering memory for both father and son. Judging from their responses, he was correct, which led to a brief moment of awe for Glenn.

"Are-Are they dead?" Jeffrey's shoulders slumped, remembering that he hadn't caught a glimpse of them in Alexandria.

"Yes..." Rick let out a shaky breath. "And you're not an awful brother. I understand you couldn't be there. But you're here now."