Chapter 22

Chapter 22

By the next morning, all of the citizens of Penrhyn City knew that the Ink had destroyed the first two habitable planets in their system. Tanaquil, Raquel, Arthur, and I brought breakfast and then sat on a bench near the heart of the city, watching the people go by.

"Anansi's going to be next, won't it?" one woman said to her friend.

"I hope not," her friend replied. "My boyfriend's family still lives just outside of Gatakirk."

"I don't have any family left on Anansi, but it still worries me that it might get destroyed," the first woman commented. "If the Ink destroys Anansi, we're sure to be next."

The two women passed by, and a father and his young daughter followed them. "Dad, why is everyone so worried?" the little girl asked.

"Uhh...well, there was something that happened," the father said.

"What happened?" the girl asked.

"Lots of people died, but don't worry, sweetheart," the father said. "It's all very far away from us."

The girl hugged her father as I looked towards my companions. "It's all our fault," Arthur said. "That thing is following us."

"We saw how fast it could move, Arthur," I said. "If the Ink was really after us, we would be dead by now."

"Nora's right," Raquel said. "The Ink isn't after us, but we can't let this keep going on. It must have killed millions, if not billions, of people by now."

"We have to go after the Ink," Tanaquil said. "It's the right thing to do. Hopefully after this all over, I can go back to promoting world peace."

"How are we going to do that?" Arthur asked. "Danger's probably in jail by now, and the authorities have our ship. We can't get to Sidhe without our pilot or our ship."

"Even if we could, we wouldn't know what to do when we got there," I observed. I still had a hard time believing that Danger had stolen the Eclipse. Our pilot was nothing more than a lowly criminal, yet all of us had trusted him. However, it wasn't like we had anyone else who could fly the Eclipse. We needed Danger.

"Maybe we should just stick around here for a while," Tanaquil said. "I kind of want to see Penrhyn City."

"Me too," Arthur said.

All of a sudden, a girl with golden brown skin, square glasses, and curly, neon green hair walked up to us. "Hewochila, frinasan!" she exclaimed. "A koes unrhyo onoga gwelmasu Danger Magellan?"

"What's this about Danger?" Arthur asked.

"Cynbellic detected," Blaze said. "Hello, friends! Have any of you seen Danger Magellan?"

"I hate to break this to you, but he was arrested and taken into police custody yesterday," Raquel said.

The curly-haired girl shook her head and said something in Cynbellic before switching to English. "Danger said he was going to come back today, Gravity," she said as she looked directly at me. "I didn't think he was going to get himself arrested."

"I don't know anyone named Gravity," I said.

"I'm sorry!" the girl said. "I thought you were my friend Gravity. You look a lot like her. I'm Danger Cascade, by the way."

"You're named Danger too?" I said.

"It's a common name around here," Danger Cascade said. "There are three other Dangers on my street, not counting Danger Magellan and I. It's honestly ridiculous. Sometimes my friends call me by my last name just to reduce confusion, so you can do that too if you'd like."