Chapter Five

Tula turned to Robin immediately, rage evident on her face. "What the hell did you say to her?"

"Just the truth." He was leaning against the wall as if there was nothing wrong. Tula did try to keep a level head with this kid, she really did, but he was just so infuriating. She knew he cared about people, but he had this attitude about him and he was always so harsh to new people, like he was just trying to push them away.

"And what do you mean by that, Robin? God knows what she's been through and you have to go and be rude to her! You know that Nightwing and Canary wanted us to welcome her." Tula yelled. It was the first time in a long time, but Robin had pushed her buttons too far.

He stayed still, her eyes locking with his hidden ones. They stared each other down with the room getting tenser each moment. In one swift movement he pushed himself off the wall. A barely audible scoff left his lips before he muttered "I'm not gonna bother."

A small growl escaped her throat as soon as the doors closed. "We should go look for her." Scattered  nods and hums of agreement answered her. They split up, each taking different areas of the mountain. Tula wished that Robin could be nice to new people for once, just once. Although they were asked to be nice to her and try and welcome her, Tula didn't need to try. She genuinely liked this girl, but she felt sorry for her. From what they were told, it sounded like she was tortured, and so far she hadn't remembered anything good. As far as anyone knew, she had no living relatives.

She made her way through the cave slowly, keeping her eyes peeled for any sign of Aspen. As she made her way through the cave the temperature seemed to get significantly warmer. Soon it was unbelievably hot. Tula decided to follow it, knowing that Aspen could change her body temperature.

Soon Tula found herself standing outside of the medical room. A small smile caressed her lips, of course Aspen went there. It was pretty much her home by now and probably gave her a small sense of security. Gently, Tula pushed open the door, a wave of heat crashed through. She took a moment to recover before opening her eyes and speaking up. Aspen was sitting on the bed, her head bowed and eyes closed. "Aspen?" Tula said softly as she walked over and sat on the bed. Aspen wasn't sitting, she was hovering slightly above the sheets.

She plunked down on the bed, it made a creaking noise at the sudden pressure. She looked at her, eyes distant. "Yes, Tula?"

"How're you feeling?"

Aspen turned her head away, staring at nothing for a short while. "I'm... not really sure. I didn't hurt him did I?"

Tula's eyes went softer, "He's fine, Aspen. Not even a scratch."

"Okay." She took a deep breath, but remained silent.

"You don't like it when people get hurt do you?" Tula asked. Aspen looked at her again, her abnormally green eyes passing over Tula, seemingly searching for an intent.

"Who does? But it also depends on who they are, I guess. Beast Boy's nice to me, he doesn't deserve to get hurt." Something in her voice sounded hollow, distant maybe, when she answered. "I don't like it when good people are hurt because of something I've done."

Tula waited a moment, it wasn't off topic exactly but it still seemed strange. "We shouldn't have made you do that. I'm sorry."

A ghost of smile hinted at her face, "You didn't force me, I trained with Beast Boy willingly. To be honest I had fun."

Tula smiled at her. The two sat in silence for a while, their legs dangling off the side of the bed and swaying slightly. The silence wasn't uncomfortable, but Tula had to know, "What did Robin mean when he said he was right?"