Chapter Twenty Three

Hello lovelies, been a while since I've spoken. I'm back with another apology, this one is almost twice the length of a normal chapter, so sorry, but I couldn't find a place to split it.

Also, I've been writing an Impulse book called Thunder, check it out and don't forget to vote for this chapter.
-------------------------------------------

Aspen looked around the cheap motel room, eyes searching for anything like cameras or voice recorders. There didn't appear to be anything, but you can never be too safe. She checked the time on the clock, 3:02. She needed to get some sleep, Robin had told her about Tula's funeral. It was being held at the cave at one.

She rubbed her bare wrists, the cuffs had completely shattered, going everywhere when she took her suit off. Now all the broken pieces were choking the bin. Her hands stopped rubbing her wrists, it wasn't as comforting as it used to be.

Robin looked over at her, "Try to get some sleep Asp. You need it."

She smiled weakly at him before she laid laid down on the hard mattress and climbed under the scratchy sheets. He didn't want to leave her alone after the everything. He was worried, but she didn't mind. She closed her flickering eyes and let the pain of the day wash away as an exhausted sleep consumed her.

"What's this?" Aspen asked Tula, green eyes tearing away from the simple black box.

"Go on," She smiled, "Open it."

Her eyes flicked back down to the box as she carefully pulled off the lid. Then her face fell and she dropped the box, Tula's head rolling out. Aspen looked up and saw herself.

"You did this." The other her said, eyes flickering between blue and green, "You killed her."

Aspen stepped back, hands shaking and eyes wide, "I-I didn't mean to. I couldn't control myself."

"You could have fought harder. You knew it coming. She told you."

"I tried..."

"And you still failed!"

Aspen shut her eyes tight, this wasn't real. It couldn't be. Words echoed around her head. Her eyes fluttered open and she found herself strapped to a chair in the middle of a dark room, a strong beam of light shining down on her.

Muttering came from the darkness and she felt her heartbeat pick up. There was a flash of light and she started pulling against the restraints. She couldn't see anything moving but she knew something was there.

Searing pain encased her body as water crashed down upon her. Despite the pain she made no noise. "You're a useless little bitch Asp. You can't do anything right."

Robin walked in front of her, the lenses of his mask a bright blue, "Why Nightwing let you on the team is beyond me. You've screwed up somehow on every mission. Need me to recite your fuck ups Asp?" He smirked, "Fine then. Your first mission you distracted everybody with your fucking mental problems. Second one you shattered that torturer's femur in front of the person you were supposed to be savi-"

"I never told you that..." She whispered.

He scowled and punched her in the face, "I don't care what you say. You're nothing but an inhuman freak to me!"

She closed her eyes, the world spinning. Her breathing felt slow and heavy. There was the slightest feeling of blood dripping from her nose. She opened her green eyes this time surrounded by the light of a thousand stars. A peaceful calm washed over her as she floated about the eternal nothingness.