Chapter Seventeen

Aspen closed the door and collapsed onto her bed. This couldn't be happening. Not right now. She didn't need this. She already had enough going on.

Like the lie she told earlier. The one she told Nightwing. The one that said Atlas hadn't tried anything. She just wanted to go on the mission. She wanted the others to stop being afraid of her over something that was out of her control.

A groan escaped her lips and was muffled by her pillow. She rolled off of her bed and stopped herself from hitting the floor. In a moment she was in front of her desk with her sketchbook and a pencil in her arms and trying to decide between two books. She bit her lip lightly and picked up The Poems and Stories of Edgar Allan Poe. She had started a different book, but she really wanted to read this.

There was a knock at her door and she opened it. Wow, it had been a while since she did that. The last time anyone knocked at her door, Canary was trying to get her to talk about everything that had happened. Her argument with Robin, her discovery with M'gann, her fight with La'gaan. She put on a smile, "Hey Rob."

"Hey, I think were gonna be a little late."

She waved her hand in dismissal and grinned cheekily, "Nah, look behind you."

He whipped around and faced the orange light emitting wormhole in the middle of the hallway. His head whipped around closely followed by his body, "How do you do that?"

"Concentration... And hand movements help as well." They shared a small laugh, "We should probably go."

"Yeah, I'm gonna trust you here and say this isn't going to kill me?"

Trust. God she missed that. "Of course it is! That's my only goal in life! Mwahaha!"

He smirked, a nice friendly one, and walked through. Aspen followed close behind. It was bright inside the wormhole, but it didn't last for more than a second. They walked out and into the loading bay, right beside the bioship. Aspen smiled and clutched her mouth mask tightly. She didn't need it on right now, but she wasn't comfortable around the others. And almost everybody was there.

They all kept glancing over at Aspen, as if she could explode at any moment. Like if they said anything to her she'd hurt them all. She wouldn't. She isn't that kind of person. They failed to see that though. They just saw her as the girl who can't control herself. The girl with a voice in her head. The girl with an extra personality. The girl who didn't deserve trust.

The door slammed open and a green cheetah ran in with a black backpack clutched in it's jaw. It jumped, but when it hit the floor Garfield was standing there, "Sorry I'm late! Didn't know what to pack!" He sounded so cheery and happy. But then he looked at Aspen and his smile faltered a little.

Nightwing brought the attention to himself, "Okay, the coordinates are 135 degrees north and 92 west. Kaldur, you're in charge of this mission."

He nodded and everybody went onto the bioship. Chairs appeared immediately and she sat where she did before. At the very back behind Robin. The seatbelts locked everyone in and the bioship left the ground. Nobody said anything for a long time, so Aspen just started reading her book.

First story, 'The Tell-Tale Heart'. It seemed like a good short story. And it was. She kept turning the pages and reading. Then she closed the book and started to draw. She didn't have a plan of what to draw at first, so she just let her hand take control.

More time passed.

And more.

The pencil dragged carefully along the paper, adding tiny final details. Then it was done and she smiled softly. Perfect shading. Accurately placed features. Believable 3D look.