Chapter Twenty Eight

It was a sad day for everyone, if not for one reason, then the other. People were gathering in the large room once more. It was too soon. Far too soon.

There had been too many deaths recently.

Tula's death was bad. There was no doubt about that. In fact, the pain was still fresh. It had affected Kaldur badly, he'd gone to Atlantis and barely returned since then. He only visited for missions now.

And now there were two more deaths. Jason and Aspen. Bruce had missed them by mere minutes. He said he could hear the explosion from miles away.

Jason was bleeding out with broken bones. He was almost dead when Bruce found him. Barely breathing.

He had no chance of survival. Not even when he got to one of those hospitals in Dallol.

He was dead within the hour.

And Aspen? Dick himself searched the rubble. Her body was nowhere. She was presumed dead.

Her coffin would be buried empty.

And would more than likely stay that way.

Silence fell as Dick cleared his throat. Eyes landed on him for the second time in only a few months. How could any of this be fair? "I-" Dick stared down at the cards. There were so many words he had to say. So much he wanted to say. But he was already choking on his emotions. These written words felt wrong, like they weren't what should be said. He took a breath, "Today isn't a good day. No matter how bright the sun shines and how cloudless the sky is, it's still not good."

He swallowed. Why was this so hard?

"I'm sure we all miss them. We all had some sort of emotional attachment to them. Robin and Aspen were both good people."

They really were good people. Good people who had been treated badly too many times. Good people who had enemies. Good people who deserved good deaths, not the murders they received.

They should have had the chance to grow up. They should have had the chance to be together.

But all of it was ripped away from them.

"Neither of them deserved the cruel deaths they received." Dick could hear the strain in his voice.

He lost his parents.

And now he's lost his brother.

"I remember the first time I ever saw Robin on patrol. Heh... He was really getting his ass kicked, but he still fought back. He didn't give up. I- I think that's what he would have wanted to be remembered for. Never giving up a fight no matter how many odds were staked against him."

He almost gave up one of his fights. He almost lost himself to his mind. But then Aspen found him in that bathroom and saved his life.

Was that when they started to care for each other?

"I remember the first time Aspen showed me what she was capable of. She was worried about Robin and promised not to leave him for the night. Bats- He wanted her to leave but she refused. They argued about it. She didn't throw the first punch but she still won the fight. It just helped prove how strong she was, physically and morally."

There was some muttering but Dick wasn't really paying attention. Why did they have to die? Why?

They should have had long lives. But no. They couldn't.

The Joker made sure of that.

Made sure neither of them would live to see another day.

One of Jason's last words was 'Joker'.

His final words were 'I'm sorry'.

But he didn't have anything to be sorry for.

Tears seeped from under Dick's mask and he wiped at his cheeks. He hated funerals. They were just a celebration of death. And that was something that didn't deserve celebration.

"Th- They may have been taken from us, but they got to remain together." His voice was shaky now, he needed to wrap up, "Maybe n- now they can f-inally be with each other. Thank you."

He stepped away from the podium. Someone else took his place and started talking, but Dick didn't pay attention. He kept walking until he was outside of the Hall of Heroes. He'd go back in for the burial of course. Both of the coffins were empty. Jason was already buried in the Wayne Mausoleum. Bruce wanted him there. He viewed him as a son.

And that son was taken away.

How could someone take Jason away? Take his brother away?

And what happened to Aspen's body? He knew it was naive, but he held onto the slightest hope that she may still be alive.