Chapter Twenty Five

I am so sorry for the late update, it completely slipped my mind with all the Christmas shopping I did! I am sooooo sorry.
=========================
Aspen laid awake in bed. No matter how many times she shut her eyes or relaxed her body, sleep wouldn't take over her. But it was fine, she didn't need to sleep. Or eat. Or drink. It was all fine.

Sure, her body needed these things, but she'd survive either way. That was a bonus of not being human, she supposed.

It's kind of funny when you think about it, Jason was the one always telling her how inhuman she was and now he was the only one trying to help her get through everything. It's strange how things can change like that.

Her mind often drifted back to the night Tula was murdered when she couldn't sleep. Maybe it was a punishment. Maybe it was a curse. Either way, she'd never get those tainted images out of her head.

The pain would never end.

But tonight was different, tonight her thoughts drifted to what she had said. To the things she snarled at everybody. To the things she had told them.

No. Not her. Atlas. But was that really much better?

No. It wasn't.

Atlas had used people's words against them. She'd whispered 'She'll miss you' to Tula before killing her. She'd told Jason that she loved him. The worst part, none of it was lies. It was just repressed thoughts and feelings.

Atlas had gotten to them and used them as weapons. She was a monster. And she was a part of Aspen. Atlas was the original. There was no way of getting rid of her.

Atlas was silent for now. She would be for a day or two. She'd been let out earlier. She'd killed three people. They'd lost their lives simply because Aspen couldn't control herself. How was that fair? Then again, when was the world ever fair? It sure as hell was never fair to her. From the moment she'd crashed down to earth she'd been locked away in an underground facility, tortured, had her powers taken and had her blood siphoned from her. Where was the fairness in that?

Aspen shook her head, it didn't matter. The things that happened to her weren't that bad though. After all, she was still breathing air and pumping blood wasn't she?

She stood up, it's not like she could sleep anyway, and walked over to the open window. The cool air felt nice on her skin. If only it could melt away all her problems. Oh what she'd do to just relax. To not have to worry about A.R.G.U.S finding her. They'd managed to track her down a couple times now, that's why she was in the alleyway earlier. They'd found her again so she bolted.

It was starting to get infuriating.

There was a knock on the door that pulled her from her thoughts, "Asp? You awake?"

Jason. She went over to the door, gently pulling it open and smiling at him. He was frowning. Something had to be wrong.

"Pack a bag." He said, coming into the room, "We're going."

"Where the hell are we going," She glanced over at the clock, "at three am?" She asked as she picked up her bag. It had everything she owned.

"Ethiopia." He answered shortly, collapsing onto the bed, the bag he was holding falling to the floor.

"Isn't that where your mum is?" She asked, putting jeans on, probably more appropriate than boxer shorts right now.

"Yeah." He replied, "I thought she was dead."

"Oh..." She said as she put on a jacket, she didn't need it but it was comfortable.

"Yeah."

She brushed her hair quickly and put the bag on her back, "When are we going?"