3

Finally, it was lunch time. Keith had met Pidge and Hunk, in a more proper way than just assuming. Keith was picking at his food, contemplating Lance's question from earlier. "You okay there Keef?" Pidge asked.

     "What?" Keith asked.

     "It's a nickname, don't question it." Hunk replied.

     "Alright, And yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking." Keith replied.

     "About?" Lance asked.

     "Your question from earlier." Keith replied, stabbing his food.

     "Lance, I swear to god if you asked him out, so help me." Pidge grumbled.

     "No way! You need to date for a while in order to ask that!" Lance argued.

     "I just think that if we're gonna be friends, we shouldn't have secrets." Keith said, looking at Lance. 

     "Now I'm really intrigued" Hunk said, leaning over the table to hear better.

     "So, the scar on my back-" Keith began.

     "Dang Lance, you got it good. You've already saw him shirtless and you haven't even dated yet." Pidge joked.

     "-I feel like I should tell you where I got it from." Keith said. By now, Pidge, Hunk, and Lance were already listening in. 

     "I got it when I was younger, around ten years old. I guess I should also mention that the people that I live with are my adoptive parents, not my biological parents. My dad was in the military, and he died there. That doesn't really matter to the story, but whatever. So, one night, my mom was cooking. She came to watch over me for a bit, and whatever she was cooking started to burn. The house caught on fire, and I was forced to jump out a window to escape the fire. I have a few small scars on my hands from breaking the glass, and the one on my back is from climbing out." Keith said, holding back tears. "She didn't make it out. Sometimes, I feel like it was my fault." Keith whimpered. By now, there were tears rolling down his cheeks.

     The group went silent, and Lance gave Keith a hug, with Keith hesitantly returning the hug. He didn't really get much attention at home, since his adoptive parents had their two kids to care for. He hadn't gotten a hug in a while, but it was nice to be hugged again. Lance and Keith broke off the hug, and went back to eating food. Pidge, Hunk, and Lance figured that he didn't really want to talk about it, since it was such a bad memory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

     "Do you mind if I go to your place?" Lance asked, following Keith out of the school.

     "Sure, Donna and Kevin won't mind." Keith answered. Keith still didn't find it right to call his adoptive parents 'mom' and 'dad'.  Its been over seven years, but he still hasn't moved past his mom and dad's death.

     "Alright. My house is hectic with six siblings." Lance joked.

     "Jeez, that sounds awful. I can barely deal with two brats, I can't imagine six." Keith said, walking ahead of Lance. Keith pulled his hair up into a ponytail, and continued walking. While Keith thought that putting his hair up was practical, and helped him cool off, Lance thought differently. Lance thought that it looked really attractive on Keith.

     "Hi dick head" James said.

     "Sup douche bag" Ryan said. They were in the middle of a game, but Keith was kind enough to leave the cord plugged in. Keith groaned as he went upstairs to his room, Lance following behind him.