Chapter 5

*Mariana's POV*

Another day that I have to suffer at school. I don't understand why it's a necessity to go to school. Sure, it prepares me for when I'm older, but I don't want to sit through the bullshit, if you know what I mean.

I began my walk to school, since my mother is drunk once again, and I don't want her to drive me. It's kind of a long walk, so I left at least 45 minutes early. Yeah, what kind of mother let's a child walk that far? Mine.

As I turned left coming out of my driveway, I noticed Demi walking a black dog nearby. I rolled my eyes, and mentally sighed as I saw her trying to catch up to me. What's up with this woman?

"Hi." She said, trying to keep up with my pace. I stayed silent. If I speak, she might think that I actually want to talk to her. I began to slightly walk faster. "Isn't it just a beautiful day?" She said. She sounded like she's on a commercial or something.

"If you say so, Demetria." I groaned.

She grabbed my arm, and stopped me. "What's your problem? I'm just trying to be friendly." She said. She seemed a bit hurt, but she doesn't know what's coming. "Maybe, you're being too friendly. Maybe, I just don't like you. That's it, I don't like you." I spat, and kept moving. She stayed behind.

I feel bad, but now she knows not to force anything with me. No, not in that kind of a way. The look on her face is something that I'll never be able to not see. Great, I'm already behind schedule. I'll be late to school.

I arrived around 10 minutes late to 1st period, and that's never good. Mrs. Levi will feel the need to try and yell at me, but to be honest, I do not have time for that today.

I opened the door, and almost immediately, her focus shifted on me. She put that hand on her hip, and began to talk. "You're la-" She said, but I cut her off. "You know what, I don't have time for you today, Captain Obvious! This is me leaving your stupid class." I said waving, and leaving the classroom. She looked shocked, but I don't care, I've got places to be.

I've never felt so bad for yelling at anybody, but Demi's different. I just feel like ever since I've met her, she's seemed so fragile. I walked out of school, and headed for her house. Yes, I'm prepared to walk 40 minutes, just so I can apologize to Demi. Something's changed in me.

I walked a couple of houses down from mine, and arrived at Demi's house. It's as big as my house, but a lot bigger at the same time. I knocked about 3 times. I heard tiny feet running to the door, well not tiny, but Demi's feet.

"He-" She began, but when she saw it was me, her smile dropped a bit. "Can I come in?" I asked. She looked a bit unsure, "If you're going to make me feel bad, then you should stay out here." She said, but she sounded hurt. I sighed, but slid past her anyway.

"Aren't you supposed to be in school?" Demi asked as she sat down beside me in the kitchen while drinking her coffee. "I ended up walking, because my mother wa- couldn't drive me. Long story short, I was late to first period, she's a bitch, and I didn't have time for it." I said, and she laughed.

"Anyway, I'm sorry for the way that I've been treating you. I didn't care, until this morning, I noticed that I really hurt your feelings." I said, and she smiled a bit, and nodded.

I looked at the marble kitchen table and my eyes wandered towards a framed picture. It was the picture that Demi and I took at the meet and greet. "You kept this picture?" I said. She smiled and nodded, but uncomfortably looked down. "You didn't want it, so I kept it." She said. I nodded.