Chapter 13

"Max, could you drive any slower?" I yelled frustrated. Max on the other hand just laughed. "Demi, we've been sitting outside of the orphanage for a while now." He said. Yeah, he's right. I'm just a bit scared.

I grabbed onto Max's arm almost digging my nails into his skin. "I don't know what to do. I'm positive that I want to go in there and get my baby girl, but what will happen when she finds out that I know about her, you know, self-harming." I said. I laid my head carefully onto Max's shoulder.

He shrugged, "I don't know, Demi. I wouldn't know what to do because I'm not you. Everybody responds differently in these type of situations. Demi, you're very special and I know that she'll confide in you. Don't scold her for it, just be there for her and be the person you'd wanted to have in your times of trouble." He said. I nodded.

"Now, get out of the car." He said.

I laughed and pushed him a bit. I unlocked the door and made my way to the front door. Walking inside of the orphanage, my mouth immediately dropped. It's fantastic in here! I wouldn't mind living here myself!

"Hi, are you here to adopt? Or, are you dropping someone off?" The lady behind the counter asked. I shook my head 'no'. "I'm here for Mariana Lovato?" I said as more of a question.

"Oh, Mariana? Um, she left a while ago and hasn't returned. I'm not sure where she went." She said puzzled. I hope she's not serious. "You let her leave and you don't know where she is?" I said furiously. I don't know why, but I'm starting to like that other orphanage better.

"If it helps, she took off that way." She said pointing in the direction opposite from where we came from. I gave a slight smile and ran out of the door. I hurriedly jumped in the car and threw on my seat belt. "Go, that way!" I said to Max as he nodded.

As we were driving, I noticed that this isn't the best neighborhood. I'm surprised the orphanage is still there! It's the best looking thing in the area, who wouldn't want to rob it or something? I swear, I'm not a thief.

I was anxiously looking out of the window to my right and noticed a small figure down an alley. I tapped Max's arms. "Stop the car." I said quietly. I lifted myself out of the car and made my way slowly towards the figure, trying not to scare it.

It reeked of alcohol and drugs, so I began to pick up my pace. As I reached the figure, I noticed that it was shaking and quiet sobs were escaping its mouth. Little did I know, that figure was Mariana. "Baby?" I said as she lifted her head. Her face was dirty and you could tell that she desperately needed a shower.

I picked her up before sitting down, placing her in my lap. I kissed her forehead, "Baby girl? Why didn't you tell me that my mom did this to you?" I said. She cried into my shoulder, but she tried her best to speak. "I-I didn't want you t-to know!" She exclaimed.

I lifted her head so her eyes met mine, "Mariana. I want you to listen to me, okay?" I said and she nodded her head. "It doesn't matter what the problem or situation is, you can always come to me and I'll help you. I love you, Mariana. I need you to understand that I'll never leave you. No matter how many times any one else leaves you... I'll be right by your side. I don't support the decisions you've made, only because you're beautiful and nobody deserves to go through any of that. I'm going to help you and that's a promise." I said. I didn't know that I was crying until I felt a cold tear drop onto my leg.

"O-okay." She said, but she was still sobbing into my shoulder. I sighed and stood up with her into my arms and directed her into the back seat of the car beside me. She laid her head across my lap and fell asleep as I combed my fingers through her hair.

"Demi, you're home." He said as he parked the car. I guess I fell asleep too. I didn't bother waking up Mariana, instead I picked her up and carried her into the house. I figured that she'd wake up as I laid her on the couch and she did. She rubbed her eyes and it made me smile. She's so beautiful.

She frowned as she saw where she was and who I was. I softened my smile a bit and reached for her arms. She quickly snatched them back and looked down at the floor. "Please?" I said. She hesitated while she handed me both of her arms and turned her head away from me.

I slowly pulled up her sleeves and a gasp escaped my mouth. I quickly shut my mouth and tried to hold in the tears that were going to escape my eyes. I noticed the very little clear space on her wrists. I traced most of the scars on both arms before bringing them up to my mouth and softly kissing each one.

I rolled back down her sleeves. "Where else?" I asked biting my lip. She sighed and pulled up her shirt revealing many more scars, but I pulled her shirt back down and brought her close to me in a tight hug. "Baby, you're beautiful. I'm sorry you went through hell. But, you're back and you're with me now. Everything's going to be okay." I said reassuringly. But, are they?

I removed myself from the hug, wiped my eyes and grabbed both of her cold hands into mine. "Where do you see yourself in the future?" I asked her. I know, such a random question.

"Honestly, I didn't think that I'd make it this far." She said shrugging. I looked down and played with her fingers while trying my hardest not to cry. It's not okay that someone has to go through all of this. The sound of the doorbell ringing interrupted my thoughts.

I jumped up and opened the door.

"Dallas!" I said hugging her around her neck. I released and went to hug her daughter. "I missed you, Camila!" I said and she smiled. I motioned for them to come inside of the house while I closed the door.

"Mariana?" I said and she looked up. "Obviously Dallas is here, but this is her daughter." I said smiling. She softly smiled and stood up and hugged Dallas.

Dallas released a small laugh, "You know, I haven't thought much about this, but they look a lot alike." She said. I examined both of their faces and nodded in agreement. That's strange.

"I'm Camila." Dallas' daughter said.

It was silent for a while until Camila hugged Mariana in a tight hug. Mariana looked confused, but Mariana is no stranger to Camila.

Something's up.