Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Loss of Kin

Jason

The day was filled with tension and anger. Adan had tried to find me at The Underground and had killed a bunch of my men I was at school with Jane. He left the dead bodies as a warning; trying to deter me from going any closer with Jane. I knew that there was going to be conflict the moment she was coming of age, but what Adan had did was too sneaky and underhanded, he was begging for a war between our two forces.

Furthermore, he should have known that I wouldn't back down; the loss of Jane would be the loss of all my power and all my territories. It would be my complete downfall. Jane needed to be mine, and I needed her. I simply couldn't let her slip by. Though, the same thing applied to Adan; perhaps that was why he turned desperate when I got to close to her.

It was my short visit with Jane that had calmed me. My heart ached when I saw her cry in the car. She was such a sweet being. She thought that she was a monster, a creature of darkness. No, she was the complete opposite. Now she was like a flower, untouched and unmarred, like an angel, nothing like us monsters. 

The true monster was me. I was still raging at the deaths of my men. I treated all of them like brothers; they were my closest kin. I required something to vent my rage on and to distract me even further.

A kill seemed like the best options of the moment. The adrenaline that it gave me always made me feel better. My muscles tightened in anticipation for the hunt. It was the best part of being a demon. The cries of the innocent victims would sound sickening to humans, but I was a true monster and embraced it. I had an eternity to accept my being, so I did, with great pride that I was one of the most superior beings on earth.

I spotted a young woman passing by the local convenience store; she looked like she could have been a student at the local university – a perfect target. I followed close behind her, waiting for her to go to somewhere inconspicuous. She was heading towards a nearby park; as soon as she reached I muted her with my hands before she could scream and pulled her into a secluded spot.

"Well hello there darling," I said to her as I let out an evil grin. Her eyes were widened with fear and I could hear her heart thumping. The lady was terrified – good.

"What do you want?" her voice was more of a squeak; she could barely muster the courage to speak. I smiled sinisterly; this was thoroughly enjoyable.

"Not much, just a bit of food. A bit of blood and maybe some of your soul," I winked at her. She looked at me as if I was a psychopath. The woman must have thought that I was some delusional teenager that read too many vampire novels.

"You don't seem to get what I mean," right then, I morphed into my true form. My canines lengthened and the whites of my eyes turned into a bloody red while my pupils darkened. My veins pulsed at a faster rate, causing the arteries to start showing through my skin. I loved it whenever I transformed like that. Suppressing my true form was like suppressing my powers, and releasing them was an invigorating experience. It was like I was turning into a completely different, more powerful me.

"Oh god," the woman squeaked. She tried to scream, but all she could do was break down in tears, "help, somebody please help."

"Shut up will you?" I bellowed. My heightened senses allowed me to listen to the flow of her blood. I was craving for it. The hunger made my muscles clench. The nape of her neck seemed so tempting right then; I knew that I was glaring at it. It made her even more frightened.

I lowered myself down to her jugular in one fell swoop. The cravings were too intense and I did not want to resist them anymore. I wanted blood in my system right then and there. The woman finally let out one short scream which seemed to raise my adrenaline. It heightened by monstrous need for her blood.