Chapter 16

I am sorry for the late update! If anybody is still reading it. This story may go on hiatus pretty soon. Updates might come at once every 3 weeks. At least for another 6 more months. Sorry. School's my reason. Forgive me please!

Chapter 16: Revelation

We stopped in front of my home; the place I had been missing for almost a month. It seemed so long since I last saw it. My parents were probably worried out of their wits.

Jason let me down on my feet. The whole ride was... awkward. He didn't say a single word to me. I tried to break the tension by uttering a few light-toned words at first, but the only response I received was a grunt and from then on, the rest of the journey was filled with dead silence.

"I'm home," I said. I looked at my mate and smiled, hoping he would return me his.

Jason's mouth twitched. Its corners curved slightly, but it quickly fell back into a hard line. "Welcome home." He was still mad at me. It was obvious. I had managed to stop the two demon lords from fighting, after a few casualties in Adan's office-- a bookshelf, a couch and his desk. Jason walked out after that, his eyes burning with anger.

I've barely heard anything from him ever since.

"I'll see you in school?" I said sheepishly, looking at him with apprehension painted all over my face.

"Okay."

"Bye."

Not even a glance had turned my way. "See you."

No. He couldn't just treat me like this. It pained me. What happened to all the times we've spent together?

Well I did cheat on him. Somewhat.

Okay, I really did.

Guilt had almost prevented me from saying another word. Almost. "How long are you going to keep this up?"

He shrugged. "Don't know."

"Jason, look." I sighed, and then swept a tired hand through my unkempt hair. "I'm really sorry about Adan. I shouldn't have done that. But I don't know... I just had to you know. He's my mate just like you are." It was impossible to make what I said sound right. Cheating was cheating. Wrong. And that's that. That mate thing was a lousy excuse.

A growl erupted from Jason's throat. I took a step back. Uh oh. "You're my mate too."

"I'm sorry, I'll do anything to make it up to you." This was the first time I've seen him mad at me. He never was. It scared me. Ancient powerful demon lords were not nice to be around when they were angry.

"You'd stop talking to Adan?"

I gulped. Adan was... I didn't know what he was to me. But the thought of never talking to him again made tears well up in my eyes. I shifted my gaze from Jason, then to the pavement, then back to Jason again. He was glaring at me now, intent on my answer. "Jason..." I nervously rubbed my hand on my elbow and took another step back. "I..c-can't."

He scoffed and turned away.

"I'm sorry!" I cried, guilt pooling from my voice. "I just can't." My hand reached out for him, and right before I touched his shoulder he spun around.

He caught me in his embrace. My body tensed. Stunned. "I don't want you with anybody else Jane. You're mine." I could hear his pulse. It was fast. "I don't want to share you with Adan. Not him. Especially not him. I'd hate to think of you with anybody else Jane. I feel like my chest is being ripped right open."

For a moment there I had expected Jason to hit me. But he would never do that. I lifted an unsteady hand and rubbed it across his smooth lips. Then I just stood there, not knowing how to respond.