Chapter 28

Chapter 28: The Obsession

Jason

Jane was mine.

She had to stay mine. I knew that I lost her. I was constantly reading her mind, and all I ever heard was Adan. Adan that scum. He must have practiced witchcraft on her when he captured her. Played with her mind. She stayed mine for so many weeks before this. I was winning.

Until now.

She locked herself inside her room every day. The servants never got to her. I brought her a few blood bags each day, and she left only to use the washroom and clean herself. Even her thirst for blood had died down—a very uncommon occurrence for demons.

"Let me die," she told me once. The scumbag Adan had gotten such a strong hold over her heart. And Hollie too. They all deserved to suffer.

I hid her away from my city—it was to protect Adan from her. We lived in a huge mansion. It had been preserved since the Renaissance. Everything there was antique.

My hand held an antique gold-plated cup that my servants filled with blood. I climbed up the mansion and entered the window. She insisted that the doors were locked. It puzzled me.

Jane's eyes had dark semi-circles under them. They were puffy and red too. She cried at night. I had to stay by her side and try to calm her down. And as I did, she thought about Adan and how she wished I were him.

I never imagined that I would start hating Jane, but resentment at her lack of feelings for me took hold of my heart with its ugly claws. I started to detest her for not belonging solely to me. I had waited thousands of years to find her, and what I received was more than disappointing.

I didn't wait so long just so that I could share half of her with some other man. No, more than half of her heart belonged to him.

"Jane dear, you must eat," I said, although my tone was much less loving than when she just arrived. She remained a ghost of her old self—a wilting being, hidden in the shadows of a dark room. I worried for her health.

As usual, she stayed silent.

I crouched down to her curled up body. "If you don't have any blood you will die."

She stared blankly into the darkness. As I searched her thoughts, images of Adan flashed past me. She was still trying to call for him. I ensured that she couldn't with a spell.

I lifted the cup to her lips and tilted her head up, allowing the red sustenance to flow into her lips and down her throat. When the cup was empty, I set it aside on the table next to me before wiping Jane's blood-covered lips with a napkin.

"Why isn't Adan replying to me?" she said, her eyes unblinking.

There she went on about Adan again, as if he was her only mate. She seemed to completely forget about me. Was I not important to her? She always wanted me to be there for her before.

I clenched my teeth together. "He's not coming for you anymore." 

"Why not? He promised to protect me."

I stood up and angrily threw the cup across the room. "ENOUGH ABOUT HIM. Why is it that you're always talking about him?"

She didn't even bother to look at my face. "Because I love him."

"And what about me?"

"I love you too." Her words were dry and empty. I doubted that she meant what she said.

"But you love him more."

She continued to stare blankly ahead.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. "Tomorrow is the blue moon. I will need to remind you that Adan is the one that killed Hollie."