Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Friction

Jason

"Hello," I said, staring intently on the arm that was wrapped possessively over Jane. The bastard. I was going to rip his face off. How dare he touch what was mine.

“Fancy meeting you here brother,” Adan said, sounding mildly chirpy. He smiled at Kaine. “Although I don’t really appreciate the unwelcome guests.”

“My work here is done. I’m sorry brother; I didn’t have a choice.” Kaine said apologetically. He took a quick bow and walked toward the exit.

Adan flashed him an empathetic look. “Why don’t you stay here for a few more days?”

Kaine gave him a brotherly tap on the shoulder. “You know that I don’t like staying here.” Then, he left.

I wasn't fond of playing games and beating around the bush. I cut to the chase. "Give Jane back, now."

Adan immediately returned his attention to me. He smirked, though it was more of a cold half-twitch and his eyes were glazing over with irritation. I wasn't going to feel threatened; not by this coward. He fled away with my prize like a wimp. Adan didn't respond. If he thought that he could get away with ignoring me he was horribly wrong.

I growled at him. "I'm not going to let you go with what you did. You stole her from me." I sounded angry and annoyed. I lifted my hand toward him, ready to blast a fireball at his face.

"She was never yours in the first place," Adan said coolly. I noticed that he was holding Jane even closer to him now. The bastard was asking for a death sentence.

I was ready to shoot at him. "Get your hands off her." The fire lit up on my palm. Then, it went flying across the room.

It didn't hit him. Damn it. Adan deflected the attack easily with a strong barrier. "Try me," he challenged. His tone was spiteful and his grin too cocky. We were always caught in a dead knot. Why else would our fight last for that many millenniums? I heard Jane whimper from my action. Okay, so I’ll try to be less violent.

I narrowed my eyes. Hurting people was not limited to physical violence. "I wonder how does Mrs. Lee taste like," I said, licking my lips. “Shape-shifters do tend to have a stronger flavor.”

Adan snarled at me, flashing a sharp canine. "You wouldn't. You’ll have to get past me first." His eyes darkened.

"Really? How about the west of the city? Tons of assorted blood if you ask me."

He barred his teeth at me.

I smiled. "You can't look after them all can you?"

"There will be a resistance, and I'll get your city too," Adan said. He always cared too much. I loved it whenever I destroyed what was his, like the other city he had four hundred years ago. He became so lost. Too bad he recovered.

"I’ll take my chances; evacuate as many people as possible before you get there," I said. I spoke with a low quiet voice, trying to make myself sound as dark and threatening as possible. His grip over Jane grew stronger. He didn't learn fast did he? “Stall you for a few days. Besides, we’re already here aren’t we?” A grin spread across my face.

I was winning. I eyed Jane. She was going to be with me again soon. Don't worry I'll save you. Her eyes were covered with fear. What had Adan do to her? Then, I noticed. She looked different, smelt different. Adan had made her go through the transformation. A demon. He had changed what was mine. I didn't mind the fact that she was one of us now. That was good. I just hated that it was him that made her that way.