Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Welcome Home

That was thrilling… at first, and then it just morphed into an embarrassing nightmare. We were running over the sea. I did, but only for two percent of the journey. Then Adan pulled a stunt that got me fuming.

“Ready?” Adan said, grinning cockily.

I was getting giddy from the worry; we were going to jump off a cliff and into the ocean. “No,” I replied, eyeing the waters. I took a step back, undecided about whether I should follow Adan, but I didn’t really have a choice; my hand was held tightly by his firm grip.

“Here we go,” Adan said. He laughed. I shut my eyes tight, too afraid to look at the drop. There was a strong tug at my arm, and in a second I felt my feet fall over the edge.

I opened my eyes and screamed when I saw myself getting closer to the rocky waters. “Oh my god.” My heart was leaping into my mouth. I was going to die. I was sure of it. The turbulent waters were going to crush me—a painful death no doubt.

There was another strong tug from Adan, this time it was harder. My legs were almost frozen but he made me move. I was stunned; my eyes the size of golf balls. We were running. I glanced down and my mouth dropped open. What in the world was going on?

Adan had his gaze fixated on me. He was grinning boyishly, having a lot of fun I presumed.

“We’re running on the waters,” I said.

“Yep, pretty fun isn’t it?”

It was exhilarating. Who knew how fast we were moving. The wind blew across my face; I could feel my hair blow with it. The cool waters splashed around me. I felt so fast, so strong. How I moved like that was a mystery.

I smiled at Adan. “Wow, I never thought that I could run like this. They always laughed at me for being the last in gym.”

“This is actually pretty slow.”

I lifted my brow. “Really?”

“Yeah, it’s too slow, you’re like a turtle.”

I was probably the fastest turtle in the world. “That’s just rude.” I scowled at him.

Adan slowed down. “Whatever,” he mumbled. I looked behind me; he fell a few hundred feet away. What was he doing?

It happened before I could blink. I didn’t have time to object when Adan picked me up in his arms to cradle me like a baby. “There now we can go faster,” Adan said. He chuckled. He better not drop me. Letting go would result in my really nasty fall… and a swim with the dolphins. I hugged his neck tightly. It wasn’t something I wanted to do but I feared for my life.

“Hold tight,” Adan said. I did as told. “We’ll be there in a few minutes.”

I couldn’t believe what was happening. He ran faster, if that was humanly possible. Well it wasn’t, Adan was a demon. But still. We were moving at least five times more quickly. I shut my eyes again and tried not to shriek. “Oh god; save me please.” This man was going to be the death of me.

“Adan please slow down,” I said.

He was beaming. “No way, I’m having too much fun.” How conceited could he get? “It’s hilarious when you’re this scared.” I could feel the blood rushing to my face. This man got great kicks out of making me as mad as hell.

“Slow down Adan!”

He looked at me. Was he going to listen? Then he gave me a smirk that said he was up to no good. I held my breath. “Phone call,” he said, before throwing me over his shoulder to free one of his hands.