Chapter 26

Chapter 26: Gone

Adan

She can't be... not her...

Not Evelyn.

My loved one lied on a soft bed with yellow sheets. The witches crowded around and tried to heal her. She was like this ever since my fight with Kaine had ended.

I had let Kaine escape.

He was right. I didn't have it in me to kill him. Not after knowing him for so many years. Not after using up so much of my essence to create him.

Kaine was almost like a part of me. A warped part that went in the other direction.

But enough about Kaine. I figured that I should leave the troubles that he brought for another day.

Evelyn was dying.

I walked up to one of the head healers. "What's the situation?"

She was an old woman. Wrinkles had formed on her face and her lips sagged downwards—there was only so much longevity and youth spells could do. Witches were mortal.

The witch looked confidently at me. "She's still in danger. But her situation is starting to look good." She sounded professional, like how a doctor would address his patients. Apparently the fact that I would kill all of them in an instant if Evelyn died didn't make much of difference to her.

I furrowed my brows. "And that means?"

"We'll most likely be able to get her on track soon. But it's still not a guarantee. At this point anything can happen."

Anything could happen. I walked over to the couch and rested my palms on my forehead. Evelyn was still at risk of dying. I had sworn to protect her from all dangers, and yet here she lied, frail and damaged.

Her body was cold, and her face so pale that anybody would recognize her as a dead person. How could anyone survive with so little blood running through their veins? She had lost so much weight when she went missing. The sides of her face sagged in, and her wrists were so thin it was easy to mistake them for bare bone.

I regretted letting Kaine go. He needed to pay for this.

But the witches could work magic. Literally. I trusted them. It was the only thing that I could do. Demons were terrible at healing. We were meant to destroy and cause chaos, not heal people.

I sat helplessly next to her as I let the witches work. A green glow emanated from their palms as they chanted their spells. The words moved past so quickly that everything became a blur.

Time crept endlessly. If she died... I wasn't sure how to spend the rest of eternity alone. I would probably give up the battle to Jason and allow myself to die. Although, I couldn't be sure that Jason would want the same thing.

Only one of us could die. If he killed me, no one else was capable of killing him.

Adan?

My eyes shot up to Evelyn's face. That was her voice again. She was talking to me.

"Evelyn?" I said out loud, hoping she could hear me.

You seem worried. Her face was a blank slate but her voice sounded filled with emotion.

I held her hand tighter. I am. You might die, my love.

There's not much to worry about.

Are you feeling alright? I stroked the back of her hand with my thumb, wishing to bring her comfort.

I feel weak, but I'm getting stronger. There's something that's pulling me back.