Chapter 2 Jody

Edward walked into the cheese house just before noon. "Edward Craigson, it's good to see you. How's your Dad? Still working with iron?" the cheese maker said.

"He's well, he's living in Fareast in Bountiful, found a woman and settled down. He's working as a gunsmith now as am I," Edward replied. "Is Jolene here?"

"Her Mom, passed last night. I gave her the week off. I'm surprised my sister-in-law lived so long as ill as she was. Jolene has pretty much dedicated her life to caring of her and her sister." Edward was shocked by the revelation and rendered speechless. "Why did you come back to Lakepointe anyway?"

"I was hoping to marry a sturdy pioneer woman and take her with me to Fareast."

"We do have a plethora of pretty young ladies here, all of them daughters of the pioneers."

"I think I'll call on Jolene and give her my condolences."

"I saw you both dancing at the celebration, you had Gabriella on your back."

"Yes, Gabby was quite happy with the attention."

"Just some friendly advice, don't go falling for Jolene, there is a curse on that poor girl. I'm her uncle so I mean her no harm telling you this. But she is destined to free a dragon that makes her a witch. Everyone has heard about her destiny to be a witch, but no one knows about her connection with a dragon."

"Is that so bad?"

"The emperor will have her brutally tortured and killed to take the dragon from her. I don't know who will take care of Gabby when that happens. He has spies everywhere."

"Here in Lakepointe?" the cheese maker nodded.

"I know for a fact she will never leave her sister, I do not want to see her heart broken, so be gentle and don't get too close."

"Hurting Jo is the last thing I would want. I've always liked her. She is the one I hope to marry."

"I remember you and her brother were quite close. There is a seer that lives on the coast this time of year, Mathilda I think. The prophesy about Jo comes from her. Seek her out and she may have advice that will keep Jo safe."

Edward walked to Jolene's home. He tried to think of something to say, his mind simply remaining blank. He tapped lightly on the door. Jolene slowly opened it. Then upon seeing Edward broke into tears and standing on tiptoe put her arms around his neck.

"Eddie...you came!" Edward held her tighter and kissed the crown of her head.

"I'm so sorry Jo. Have you been getting a lot of visitors?"

"You came."

"Who's handling the funeral arrangements?"

"My uncle, he has been so kind. He said he will handle all of the expenses. I have nothing saved, Mom's medications were so expensive. Would you like to see her?" Edward nodded and Jolene took his hand and brought him to her mother's room. "I bathed and dressed her with my aunt's help."

Gabby was sitting by her mother along with her aunt. She saw Edward and held out her arms. Edward lifted her, cradling her as she cried.

"I'm sorry Gabby," he whispered. Then nodding to her aunt said, "Minerva."

"It's nice of you to come Edward," Minerva said.

"I've always loved Jo's Mom. I ate here regularly and stayed over so much, I even called her Mom."

"She has been so sick and so weak for such a long time," Minerva said softly, "Now she can rest with the gods."

"Am I going to die too?" Gabby asked between sobs.