Chapter 14 Roughhousing at the Pond

"Addie where we going?"

"To our pond on Pettibone Creek."

"All I got on is a towel!"

"We're going swimming Jo."

"We're swimming nakie!" Gabby said happily.

"We always swim like this," Elly said. "Mom, hurry!"

"I'm carrying little Davey and Susie is going as fast as she can," Theodora replied. The two large dogs followed wagging their tails.

"What will Maud say when we show up for dinner dressed only in wet towels?" Jolene asked.

"She'll roll her eyes, but she is used to us on swim nights."

"Can I help Allie and Elly with the twins?" Gabby asked.

"Ask her Mom, there will be lots of toddlers to help with, everyone is coming," Adrianna said.

"The men too?" Gabby asked.

"It's girls only night," Elodia answered, "they have their own night."

The group of friends entered the water. Gabby as a non-swimmer was limited to the shallow area as Jolene instructed her on swimming. Elly and her trio were jumping off the diving rock into the deep water and were joined by Theodora and Adrianna who enjoyed diving off the rock. Jumping off the rock entailed a lot of shouting and screams. Kaitlyn stayed in the shallow area with Susan and Maryann watching the younger children. All the women took turns working with the young non-swimmers then jumping and diving off the rock and allowing all a chance to jump and dive.

"Jody, climb the rock with us!" Theodora said as she and Adrianna climbed the diving rock. Jolene looked down at the pond below. "We're going to hold hands and jump together."

"Looks awful far down!" Jolene said.

"Have you ever done a cannon ball?" Adrianna asked. Jolene shook her head to indicate she had not.

"You jump then tuck your legs in and make a tight ball. With three of us it will make a huge splash," Theodora added. "Let's hold hands and run to the edge and jump...ready?" They nodded and held hands.

"CANNON BALL!" they shouted together and ran to the edge of the rock launching themselves into the air. They surfaced together laughing.

"How big was our splash Odie?" Theodora shouted.

"It was a tidal wave! All your big butts hitting the water at once."

"Ed said I have a very nice butt, thank you," Jolene said primly.

"You've been showing off your butt?" Elodia teased.

"Let's do it again!" Jolene shouted. Later Jolene treaded water near the rock as Gabby tried several jumps into the pond. It was beginning to get dark and mosquitoes were beginning to make their presence known when the swimmers returned to their homes. All the swimmers had come to the pond fully clothed except for Adrianna and her party. Maude had prepared a diner of meat pies and fresh raisin and cinnamon rolls and they sat dressed in wet towels eating. Maude was muttering quietly about their attire.

"James will be home soon, so let's all dress," Adrianna said.

"How come James is late tonight?"

"He working with his train, this is his third line and it runs one hundred and eight miles to Clare. It will carry wheat from the prairie and passengers."

"I've never seen a train," Jolene said.

"We'll fly over one the day after tomorrow."

"We're we goin?"