Home!

It's been nearly 100 years since the nuclear bombs were launch. The bombs that wiped all living things from the face of the Earth. Mankind survived though. A select few countries built space stations and launched them into space. Joining with others to make The Ark. It was the only place left that was liveable. There were strict rules you had to live by. If you didn't, you'd get locked up. However, over the age of 18 you'd be floated. Sucked out into space. They say it's a quick and painless death. It didn't look painless to me. I was 6 years old when they floated my father. Six years old when my mother started heavy drinking. Drinking to a point she would switch to another person and get mean. It got to a point I use to run to my 'Uncle' Kane, when she used to have her episodes. Sometimes, I wasn't so lucky! Sometimes she would catch me. Lock the flat door. I was a prisoner in my own home. Now I'm a prisoner in the skybox. The dream is to return to the ground; but this, this is reality. Reality sucks.

I laid on my bunk staring up at the stars. Wondering what it would be like to get floated. I was way beyond caring at this point. I was two weeks away from my 18th birthday, which meant two weeks away from certain death. I had been in the skybox for nearly five years. I'd made friends with other inmates, or delinquents as we preferred to be called. Two in particular, were Jasper Jordan, a kid who loved his goggles, and Monty Green. They were my friends since before the Skybox! In fact I had lived with Jasper and his parents just before I got arrested. I was also friends with my cell mate. A girl by the name of Octavia Blake. When she first came in I asked the usual question what you in for? To which I got the reply of mind your own damn business. I must admit it was hard getting through the thick outer shell. But I did and we became good friends. I felt protective of her as she hadn't been in the outside Ark world that much. You see she was the second child in the same family. The rules were one child per couple. Her mother couldn't bring herself to end the pregnancy. So she gave birth secretly and she was hid under the floor. All her life she's been locked up in some form or another. It made me feel sorry for her.

"Hey Athena" she called me out of my daydream.

"Yeah!" I replied not looking at her.

"Do you think we will ever return to the ground." I looked at her and she was looking right at me.

"Honestly?" She nodded at me. "I really don't know. If we do, I won't be around to see it." I watched as her face fell. "Hey O, its fine I've made peace with it. You might get to go down there." I tried to reassure her. Even in the moonlight I could see her eyes welling up. I rushed over to her and pulled her into a hug. We stayed like that until the door flew open.

"Prisoner 359 turn and face the wall." I looked at Octavia I saw the fear in her eyes.

"She's not 18 for another two weeks." Octavia told the guard. I placed a hand on her arm telling her it was ok. I'd be fine. I saw them open a box full of silver cuffs they placed one on my wrist and turned to Octavia.

"Prisoner 372 turn and face the wall!" Wait what! I tried to fight them off, but it was no good. They hit me with their taser stick and I was out like a light.

~

I woke up tied to a chair in a ship. Well we're definitely not getting floated, I thought. I looked around and saw Octavia next to me, Monty and Jasper tied to the wall. Wow they really don't care about safety in this thing. Octavia noticed I was awake. "Hey, you ok?" I nodded still blinking away the pain from earlier. "I've heard rumours we are going to the ground." I looked at her shocked. The ground why, I thought it was still full of radiation. My god it's a mass execution.

"What?" Suddenly the whole dropship shook and I heard someone say we'd hit the atmosphere. "Isn't it still full of radiation?" I asked turning to Octavia, she shrugged. As the whole dropship shook, TVs across the walls sprung to life. On them stood non other than Chancellor Jaha.