Chapter 5 - Blood Brothers

RIO POV

"It was a clean shot to the shoulder. You just need to take it easy. I have stitched you up and given you some strong meds..." the voice of the docter soon disappeared and all I could remember was Nicola crying in Nova arms. She was covered in my blood. She looked like shit. I knew I ain't dead so why was she crying like that. I wondered if I missed the plot. Costa was next to me talking to the doctor. His facial expressions were much more relaxed. I mumbled that I aint dead but nobody seemed to pay attention to me.

I woke up to the delicious  smell of bagels. There was also flowers on the side of the bed. The room was silent and I saw Costa asleep in the visitors chair.  He was using the same clothes from last night. Costa and me were blood brothers, ride and die till the very end.

" Hey Costa, I never die", I screeched with all my strenght. He jolted from his sleep and made his way to the side of the bed.

"Yeah bro, I thought you was a goner. Thank your lucky stars" Costa muttered. Hes face looked stressed. I had known Costa for most of my life. We grew up on the same block and our fathers used to beat our ass for selling their tobacco and alcohol in school. We emerged from poverty to run the same block within a year of turning 17. We saw some crazy shit together but we never parted ways.

"How bad were we hit last night. Who the fuck had the balls to place a hit out on you?", I groaned as I shifted my body weight. So many unanswered questions plagued my mind.

"Naw dog, that was just to scare us. If they wanted us dead they would of sent professionals. Some one is sending us a warning. I phoned King to do some digging. Anyway that aint your trouble. Your baby girl was here with those flowers for you." Costa grumbled.

I smiled at the thought of Nicola and then the flashes of her blood covered dress flooded my mind. I groaned in pain.

Costa stared at me and I gave him a weak smile.

"Where did you pick that chick, Nova from" Costa enquired

" I bet your balls itching to hit that. Shes definitely your type. Shes Nicola friend or sister. I dont even know them that well bro..." I laughted.

Costa broke into a smile for the first time. " She handled the glock like a pro. Better then some of the guys we run with. Shot out three of those bastards before the cops could come." The curiosity in his voice was evident.  Costa was hard up for Nova. I watched him make his way to the door, he turned around and uttered :

"We owe her our lives."