Chapter 9 - Shooting Star ☆

Costa POV

King walked into my office and handed me two brown files. His chubby face was grim as hell, things must be bad. I leaned back on my chair and braced my self for the storm ahead.

I listened intently as he gave me his summary. His words spewed out  like a hot volcano.

File 1 - Shooting at Baseline.

Long story short. Your boy Rio had been gambling heavily on the black jack tables. He lost to the house and was suppose to make monthly payments.  He hasn't paid in the last four months. So they placed a bounty on his head.

"Do you know how much he owes" I queried. Nothing in this file surprised me.

"Nope you need to ask him", mumbled  King.

I inhaled deeply and my fists began  to form a ball. How could Rio fuck up like this. The truce with the family was in jeopardy cos of his bad habits. I took a deep breath  and braced myself for the run down of Nova file.

File 2 - Nova

Your girl Nova was a real mission. Theres no records of her from before the age of 17. She just popped up on  the face of the Earth.  So I had to do more digging and you wouldn't believe the shit I found.

Her real name is Nova Natalia. She was the only daughter of an accountant that lived in the upper area. The family put a hit out on them and sent in the butcher. He spared her and her mother  for some strange reason.  Nobody knows what happened after that. I am assuming the family adopted her and she ran away at some point. They placed a bounty on her head. Her little execution in the club has set off a few alarm bells. I raised my eyebrows in shock from what I just heard.

"So my advice to you is too stay the hell away from her. She's bad news."

I looked at him.

He left the files and exited the office.  

It was nearly two and Rio would be here. I walked over to my window and gazed out at the vast ocean.

I needed to solve Rio problem before they chopped him up in pieces.  Never mess with the family. The truce that was held between the family and his crew was based on years of hard work and respect. If the family forced his hand he would have to cut Rio lose to save all that he had worked for.

He imagined all the possibilities, the outcome was always be the same. There was a knock on the door.
I turned to look at my secretary. She gave a grumpy smile  and notified me that there was a client that needed to see me. The timing was all off.

I woke up leaving the two files on my desk.  Mr Devin, a longstanding client had a query on his account. He had paid his monthly stipend to Rio.  He produced a receipt with Rio signature. The money was never banked. I went through all records.

I had to apologise and authorised an immediately credit. This day couldnot get any worse.

I walked into the board room expecting to find Rio awaiting my arrival. The board room was empty.

Sir, he left with the two files that was on your desk. He said that he had some urgent business to sort out and that he would phone you", Sabrina stated frankly.

I felt the blood drain from my body. He was going  to give up Nova to save his ass.