Chapter 10 - The Knight

"Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up" - Veronica Roth (Divergent (Divergent, #1)

They came in the darkness of the night. Cladded in death, they seeked their targets. Room to room they searched, rampaging through our home. Daddy shouted and mummy screamed.  Pop Pop Pop went the butcher. Pop Pop.

They entered our bedroom silently, tip toeing around the squeaky toys that laid sprawled across the carpeted floor.

I watched the bad man raise his gun to sleepyhead Brian. A single shot through his head.  My dear brother smiled in his eternal sleep. Thomas shrieked bolting of the blood stained bed. His bewildered face covered in fear. The evil main aimed and fired. Pop Pop went the butcher and little Thomas was no more.

He turned  too me, I knew I was next. I stared at the barrel of the gun and smiled. Remember no tears little Nova , big girls dont cry. He pulled the trigger and the gun just clicked. The gun had jammed. I looked at him and he just smiled.

"Its not your time little girl", was all he said.

NOVA POV

Every night the dream with haunt me. Like an old black and white movie I was tormented by the worsed day of my life. The day that he had taken everything from me. Sweat ran down my neck and my body began to tremble. I gasped for air clutching my chest. My eyes opened to the darkness of my bed room. The room began to spin violently. Fear squeezed my life force.

Its not my time to go. I am a survivor. I murmured like a crazy person.  I felt so damaged.
Broken china doll..

Deep breathes it was just a dream. Tears streamed down my cheeks. Why hadnt the gun just fired on me.

I closed my eyes and images of Brian and Thomas lifeless bodies flooded through my soul. I had lost so much. How much longer could I go on? My prayers were never answered.

I closed my eyes once more and drifted away.

***********************************His hand pinned me against the bed. The weight of his body pressed against mine. It felt like a dream until I felt his chest raised and fall against my body. I immediately reached for my gun under the side of my pillow. I aimed it into the chest of my oppressor. His whispered into my ear.  His hot breathe sent shivers down my spine. Was it my time now.

"We need to get out of here now "

Opening my eyes I stared deep into familiarity.  A sense of  security enveloped my subconscious.

Costa... what the fuck are you doing? I whimpered.  I gazed at his face through the darkness. He looked panicked like when I first meet him in the club. He shuffled nervously and pulled me off the bed on too the floor.

He motioned me to remain silent and directed my attention to the ajar bedroom door. I strained my eyes and realized that some body was moving  in the next room. They had finally  come for me.

It began to storm with a hail of bullets. The side of my bed provided temporary cover. I aimed too shoot but I knew that I would give away my cover.They just hadnt realised that I was not on the bed anymore. Absolute shit heads.

We were clearly cornered.

I looked at Costa for answers.

"You gona make a run for the left side window. Down the fire escape and into the parking lot. I got a car waiting for us" he said. His voice was so low key and sexy.

Before I could answer he pulled me off the floor and began shooting mercilessly.

"JUST GO"  he screamed

I ran turning back to find Costa hot on my heels. He was covering my back and I didn't even know the dude.  I watched as the bullet grazed his hand.

Fucksakes. I turned around and began blasting them hood rats.

Costa wasted no time and pulled me down the fire escape. Within minutes we were in the car.

He turned too look at me. Before he could say anything I kissed him. His fingers found the moisture between my legs. He pulled away from my embrace. I looked at his hand covered in blood.

Blood was running down my thighs. The lightheadedness overwhelm me and Costa began fading away.