Chapter 5

It was a brisk morning, only a few weeks until winter. Bucky had decided to see Steve since he usually caught a cold around this time of year. It was always during the changing of seasons that he seemed to get sick.

Bucky didn't expect to find the apartment silent. It was eerie. There was always Sarah's voice or coughing, or Steve's scratching pencil against paper to greet him. He knew immediately that something was wrong. He took purposeful strides towards Steve's room, finding it empty. The dread curled in his stomach as he looked to the door of Sarah's room. He hesitantly grabbed the doorknob and turned it, stepping inside.

Steve was there, sitting on Sarah's empty bed with his head in his hands. The dread threatened to choke Bucky.

"Steve...Where's Sarah?" He asked, just above a whisper. Steve was silent though. "Steve, answer me." Bucky strode forward, kneeling in front of Steve. Steve wouldn't look at him. "Where's mum?" That gave Bucky a reaction. Not the one he hoped for though. A sob escaped Steve's throat and Bucky looked down in regret. He didn't want to make Steve cry. He wished the fact of the situation didn't crack upon his shoulders, making them feel heavy with sadness.

"She- She passed in her sleep." Steve choked out, his hands clenched tightly into fists as he held back his tears from falling despite the convulsing gasps he gave. Bucky wrapped his arms around him on instinct, holding his friend tightly as they both mourned their losses.

Steve's mother and Bucky's pseudo aunt.

"I'm so sorry Steve." He whispered.

"Please don't." A tear fell down his cheek and Bucky swiped it away instantly, knowing that Steve would have anyway. "I knew this would happen." Steve held back a whimper when Bucky held him tighter.

"You're not alone Steve. Remember that, okay?" Bucky ran his hand through Steve's hair as soothingly as possible despite the light tremble in them. He was glad Steve was smaller then him, he didn't think he could let him see his tears when trying to be the strong support beam here, even though he probably knew he was.

"I know Buck...I know." Steve sniffled, squeezing his eyes tightly so no more tears would fall, but it was futile. Bucky wiped every tear away that morning, and afternoon, and evening.

Bucky didn't leave his side that entire day.

⌛️⌛️⌛️

They funeral was small and short. Sarah was cremated and buried besides her husband Alexander Rogers. It was only Steve, Bucky and Katherine that attended. Sarah didn't have many friends since she was more of a shut in after her husbands death. They all paid their respects to her on separate days. It felt like they needed some privacy to talk to her.

"Mum, I'm sorry I couldn't get you the medicine. I'm sorry you had to leave so soon...I'm sorry you weren't there to see me get hitched. I wish I could have brought a girl back in the first place mum." His nose stung as tears rose to his eyes and fell. "I wish I could have made you proud." He sobbed softly. "I'm gonna join the army mum. I promise. I'll show you how strong I can be. I'll make you proud, I swear."

"Sarah...Thank you so much for letting me be apart of your family. I will make sure your son lives a long and proud life. I'll come back from the war and make sure the idiot takes care of himself." Bucky promised the gravestone, resting a single rose on her grave. "May the angels give you a safe travelling."

"Oh Sarah...Both my son and yours are distraught over your death. I only hope I can be that support if Steve needs it. I hope you'll continue to give me your blessing to care for your son as if he was your own, like I always have. May the Lord watch over your soul, my dear friend."

⌛️⌛️⌛️

"How are you, Steve?" Bucky said as he walked up the stairs with Steve.

"I'm fine. The funeral was...nice. Mum would've liked it that way."

"She would have...Steve, just so you know, you're always welcome at my home." Bucky said as Steve searched his pockets for his house key.

"Thank you Buck. But I can take care of myself." He tried to doorknob but it was locked. Bucky smiled a bit and tapped his shoulder to get his attention, pushing a brick aside to reveal the spare key he used to get into Steve's house on occasion.

"Thing is, you don't have to." He rested his hand on Steve's shoulder, squeezing it. "I'm with you to the end of the line, pal." He promised. Steve nodded slowly, feeling a bit relieved by the hand.

"I know." Steve placed his hand over Bucky's and smiled, squeezing it before dropping his hand to bend down and pick up the key and unlock his door. Bucky watched him disappear inside, hand tingling with warmth. He subconsciously traced the slightest pink on his skin from where Steve had squeezed his hand.

"What is wrong with me?" He questioned his rapidly beating heart and fluttering stomach, walking down the steps even as his eyes stared at his left hand. He lifted it to his lips and kissed it softly, cheeks warm. He clenched his fist and felt dread curl in his gut again. "I should go pick up a girl tonight..." He mumbled. Maybe that would get rid of this strange, sick feeling

5 KISSES OBTAINED