Chapter 8

Steve felt like tearing the file apart, glaring at the big rejection on his form again.

"Who did they reject this time?" Bucky chuckled, walking around in his new uniforms. He'd gotten it in the mail and was free to wear it around town. He was practically showing it off, and as much as Steve spitted it, he knew he'd be wearing one soon. He was following Bucky onto the field and fighting for his country. He wouldn't have it any other way.

"Steve Powers from Ohio." He sighed and handed him the file.

"Tough luck." He didn't seem displeased at all though.

"Jerk." He grumbled.

"You love me." Bucky smirked and handed the file back as he gave a passing woman who was making eyes at him a wink. "I think that was Elizabeth from eighth grade. You remember her?"

"Not really." Steve shrugged and rolled his eyes. He wanted to be jealous, but he couldn't. Bucky was too damn loyal to cheat in his mind. He just had to keep an image. "You have good memory, huh?"

"Superb." Bucky said smugly.

"I hope you get dementia." He grumbled.

"So mean! You've jinxed me now." Bucky said dramatically before shoving his hands in his pockets and swaggering to stand in front of him. "Punk."

"Jerk." Steve couldn't help but smile at his antics, gasping when he sneaked a quick peck. "Buck, someone could have seen!" He hissed.

"But they didn't." He winked and continued walking. "I couldn't help myself anyway." He shrugged innocently, but his grin told another story.

"Whatever." Steve sighed and caught up to him, walking by his side.

⌛️⌛️⌛️

Steve awoke at midnight to knocking at his door. He walked out of his room and opened the door to find Bucky. He smelt like alcohol.

"Jesus, have you been drinking?"

"Yeah." He didn't look happy at all though like it would most other men.

"Come on in." Steve knew he came here for a reason. Bucky stumbled inside and flopped onto Steve's couch. "You okay Buck?" Steve sat by his head, which Bucky responded to by raising his head and resting it in Steve's lap.

"...Did you hear about the bombing?"

"The bombing?"

"In Darwin. The Jap's bombed Australia if I remember correctly." Bucky sniffled.

"Darwin...That's where your dad works, isn't it?" Steve felt dread coil in his chest.

"Yeah...He worked on the boats and-" His voice cracked. "They drowned him along with one of 'em."

"Oh, Buck..." Steve's fingers trailed through Bucky's hair, which made the other feel a little safer. "I'm so sorry...Does your mum know?"

"I can't bring myself to tell her...I just thought I'd drown my sorrows for the night. Didn't work." He nuzzled Steve's stomach, hiding his face in his loose pyjama's.

"You're an emotional drunk when you're stressed Buck, even I know that."

"Shut up." He muffled, making Steve suppress a laugh.

"Wanna stay here the night?"

"...Yes." He said, his voice almost like when he was sleepy as a kid. Steve thought it was a cute.

"Get up then, you can sleep here or in my room with me."

"I don't want to be alone." He admitted.

"I thought so." Steve stood and pulled Bucky up, almost toppling over when he rested his weight on his shoulders, he partially dragged the brunette to his room, flopping him onto the bed. Steve smiled a bit and slipped into bed with him, pulling the blanket over them both.

Steve felt Bucky's arms loop around his waist, head on his chest. Steve almost sighed, running his fingers through his hair again as he closed his eyes, slowly falling asleep.

⌛️⌛️⌛️

"Did you finally tell her?" Steve asked a week later.

"Yeah, last night." Bucky sighed. "We're giving dad a cross in the graveyard by your parents if that's alright with you."

"Of course Buck, your family is mine." Steve and Bucky reached the movie theatre. Steve figured a good movie might take his mind off things for a bit. They paid for their tickets and got a bucket of popcorn to eat. They took a seat up mid-way in the theatre, Bucky and Steve in the middle of the row with the popcorn in Steve's lap since he had carried it in, munching on it slowly despite Bucky telling him to save it.

A video about the war appear on the screen, telling people in the audience to come join and do their part. Steve smiled a bit. He would get in eventually. He just felt it in his bones. After the advertisement disappeared, a cartoon appeared. Bucky laughed at the jokes, eating a few bits of popcorn. Steve was glad to hear him laughing again with that joyful gleam back in his eyes.

Steve watched until the cartoon ended, flinching when he felt Bucky's fingers touch his hand. He relaxed quickly though, letting Bucky warm hands engulf his hands. It was kind of thrilling really. The secret between them, it felt like a game really. Steve linked their fingers properly as the movie played, happy to only pay half of his attention on it in favour of squeezing Bucky's hand every now and then.

8 KISSES OBTAINED