Chapter 12

Steve entered the recruitment centre curiously, looking around.

"Come on, soldier." A woman said happily to her male companion, likely boyfriend, pulling him away from the mirror that made him look like a soldier, decked in worn out green outfit. Steve stared at it for a moment, conflicted on we're or not to try it before his feet moved on their own, stepping in front of the glass.

He was too short to fill out the face. He swallowed thickly, chest feeling a bit hollow. It was like seeing reality more clearly. He wanted to fight, be a soldier and die for his country like any other man, but instead he was stuck in Brooklyn to be the damsel in distress, waiting for her husband to come back. He clenched his fist slightly, forcing back the rejection of that feeling. Instead, his gaze hardened.

He had to make it. Tonight, tomorrow, or months from now. He'd make it on the battlefield, even if he died to moment he got on, he at least could be a stepping stone, no matter how small.

Suddenly, a hand grasped his shoulder.

"Come on. You're kind of missing the point of a double date. We're taking the girls dancing." It was Bucky.

"You go ahead. I'll catch up with you." Steve's eyes lingered on the sign for enrolment. Bucky followed his gaze and sighed.

"You're really gonna do this again?"

"Well, it's a fair. I'm gonna try my luck." Steve said stubbornly.

"As who? Steve from Ohio again? They'll catch you. Or worse, they'll actually take you." Now that hurt.

"Look, I know you don't think I can do this-"

"This isn't a back alley, Steve. It's war!"

"I know it's a war. You don't have to tell me." Steve snapped. Bucky ran a hand down his face.

"Why are you so keen to fight? There are so many important jobs." Bucky reasoned.

"What am I gonna do? Collect scrap metal..."

"Yes!" He agreed instantly.

"...in my little red wagon?"

"Why not? Sounds like a lovely red wagon to me, babydoll." Bucky tried to sweeten the deal, but it wasn't cutting it.

"I'm not gonna sit in a factory, Bucky."

"I don't..."

"Bucky, come on! There are men laying down their lives. I got no right to do any less than them. That's what you don't understand. This isn't about me." Steve knew that was partly a lie as much as it was the truth.

"Right. Cause you got nothing to prove." Bucky said with a knowing look. "Look, I don't think you should go because I need something to look forward to come back to. I need something to fight for besides my country Steve. Can't you be that for me?"

"No. Because I'm going to be fighting right besides you Buck. We'll come back together instead."

"You know that's not tr-"

"Hey, Sarge! Are we going dancing?" Bucky was interrupted by Connie and Bonnie. He gave them a charming smile.

"Yes, we are." He turned back to Steve. "Don't do anything stupid until I get back."