Prologue

The cars screeched to a halt. Horns honking. Our car was wrecked. Mama sitting beside me, blood in her mouth, coming out. I covered my eyes in hopes to unsee it. Her face appeared in the dark. I screamed and uncovered my eyes.

~~~

Daddy and I sat at the table. Mama had been gone for two years. I was 14. Daddy pulled out a hand gun and shot himself. I cried, wishing to wake up.

I was brought to Graham Windham. Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton established this place. There, I was overlooked for a year. Until I turned 15. That was yesterday. August 18, 2015. That fateful day, someone asked to visit me.

I talked with a scientist lawyer. I told her I didn't need her help. She told me she wasn't there for law, but to foster. That she would have brought her husband, but he was sick. That they wanted me.

Maybe I could start over. Just maybe.

I just couldn't forget the rules.

1. Don't get attached
2. Don't share your problems
3. Don't talk unless spoken to
4. Stay away from the foster dad

The last one might make no sense, but to me, it did. My daddy was a rapist. I also went places with foster parents on weekends, don't know why though. But they were always different and always abusive. So, rule number four came. Let's see how this will turn out.