One

I get in the car with Vanessa. That's the scientist lawyer's name. She's pretty. As we drive, I go to say something. Don't speak unless spoken to, I tell myself. Vanessa glances over at me. "So, you never gave me your name."

"They did." I say, meaning the people who work at Graham Windham.

"I know. But I want to hear it from you."

"Jamie. Pronounced with the j. Not like an h." I say and go back to looking out the window.

"Okay, Jamie. My husband is still sick and kind of needs some love, so, maybe, you could watch a movie with him. He's a Disney sucker." Vanessa says. Stay away from the foster dad, I remind myself.

"Do I have to? I get sick easy."

"Okay then..." Vanessa sounds almost suspicious. I repeat the four rules in my head.

~~~

When we get to their house, I see Vanessa's husband sitting on the couch. He's reading a bunch of letters. I just stand behind her as he begins talking. "I'm changing people's lives!" He says.

"Oh yeah?" Vanessa asks, hands on her hips. Lin laughs slightly.

"Yeah. Everyone's all fucked up from my show." He answers her.

"Mm-hmm." Her reply comes short as if she's doubting him.

"But I was fucked up first, I guess."

Vanessa gives Lin the once over. "You look pretty fucked up right now." That shuts him up. "So this is Jamie." Vanessa steps away from me. I wave slightly.

"Jamie, hi. I'm Lin."

"Jamie, you watch a movie with Lin and I'll get dinner ready." Vanessa says. I let myself break down. Crying. Sobbing. Vanessa drops down to the floor with me, her dress billowing out around her as she does. "Jamie, what's wrong?"

"You two remind me of my parents!" I say, maybe too much sorrow in my voice. Vanessa soothes me and holds me. Lin comes over too. Stay away from the foster dad. It sounds in my head like an alarm. Repeating itself over and over again. I shoot up, look Lin in the eyes and say "Stay the hell away from me." Vanessa stands and brings me to my room. She shuts the door behind her.

"Jamie, what was that?"

"I've had bad experiences with foster fathers."

"You only had foster parents on weekends. I'm confused."

"They were always different and always abusive. Doubt anyone told you that about me." I spit through clenched teeth. Vanessa sits me down on the bed and kneels down.

"No, they didn't. I didn't ask about anything. Who you were, anything about you. Anything I'm going to learn about you is going to come from you." I nod. "If you don't want to be near Lin, fine. Not until later. You will have to learn to be around him. Also, tell me a secret."

"You tell me a secret." I say, daring her.

"Okay. If I do, will you share one?"

"Why not."

"Okay, Lin doesn't know yet, but I'm pregnant."

"Didn't I see a baby book on the coffee table?"

"Yes. Lin and I have a two year old son, Sebastian. He's at his Abuelo and Abuela's house." Vanessa says.

"Oh. Your parents or Lin's?"

"Lin's. Now you tell me a secret."

Now, of course, it'll be a lie. It has to be. Then my mind takes over. A truth comes out. "My mama was bringing my sister and I to the doctors when she died. Both my sister and mama died."