Five

I walk aimlessly around town until a cop stops me. "Excuse me young lady, its ten o'clock. You shouldn't be out here. I'm gonna drive you home."

"I don't need a ride. My foster mom knows I'm walking."

"Foster mom?"

"Yeah. I'm a foster kid. Now leave me alone."

"I bet she's worried sick."

"She wants to get rid of me. I doubt she's worried."

"Oh. I mean, as much as I'd like to let you be happy and have this one, I've still got to get you home."

He drives me back to the house and knocks on the door. I hide behind him. Vanessa answers the door. She starts freaking out. "What's going on? Did something happen to Jamie? Or my husband?" I go to run, but the cop, as if knowing my plan, puts his hand on my shoulder.

"I found this girl walking around town." He pushes me inside. "Keep tabs on your foster kid. Even if you plan on giving them up."

"What?"

"Just saying."

Vanessa pulls me inside. She tries to hug me but I pull away from her. "Don't touch me! You're having a baby, I know what that means. It means I'm just getting given up." I spit at her, not looking at her.

"Jamie! Jamie!"

"No! Vanessa! Just, tell Lin that it's my choice. You can throw away the pile of adoption papers. I'm going to live with my grandmother."

"No! Jamie. Please. Stop."

"You stop, Vanessa! I don't trust you. I don't love you and you are not my mama!"

"You don't mean that."

"Oh, but I do mean it."

"No. Jamie, you need to cool down. Okay? Just take a break. Please."

"No. Vanessa. I am not going to take a break. I hate you! I wish you never chose me!" I run to my room and lock the door. She'll really get rid of me now.

~~~

When I wake up in the morning, I go to the living room. Vanessa, Lin, my social worker and my grandmother sit at the table, talking.

"Jamie. Hi." My social worker says. "Your grandmother is here to pick you up."

"Oh. Okay." I say. Lin looks at me, anger clear in his eyes.

"I'm shocked that you're capable of such words." He says. He hugs Vanessa.

"Can I have one last hug before I go?"

"Hell no." Lin tells me.

"Okay." I look at my grandmother. "Can we go then Nana?"

"After you pack." I go pack and Vanessa comes in. She closes the door behind her.

"Jamie, I am not mad at you. Lin is, clearly, but I'm not. You said you wanted this. So I arranged it."

"Oh."

"I hope nothing but the best for you."

"And I you." I sit on the unmade bed and then lay down. "I don't want to go."

"Well, I hate to break it to you, but your nana is waiting for you."

"What if I refused to go?"

"I'd make Lin carry you."

"He said it was either keeping me or you guys were done. I didn't want to cost you your marriage."

"That's what this was about? Costing us our marriage?" I nod. "Sure he said that, but I,"